Visibility of MOVED topics

The forum contains (estimated) 10% entries with the attribute "MOVED". Why are these "dead entries" preserved? It is enough if an entry is visible in the target forum!

The idea of having the MOVED entry is so that the person who wrote the Topic can find it in its new location.

AFAIK the "Moved" reference is deleted automatically after some period of time.

...R

I don't like it because it incentivizes using the wrong forum board. Moving posts is one of the primary components of the work we volunteer moderators do. The person who posts to the wrong board gets a free cross-post (which is normally against the forum rules), doubling the visibility of their post. Meanwhile, the posts of the respectful people who follow the rules are quickly pushed down to the second page, where they are far less likely to get attention from the helpers browsing the forum.

I tried to establish standard procedures for the moderators, which specifically instruct them to not create these redirect posts. Everyone involved agreed, but then they don't follow them, so there's not much I can do other than to delete the "MOVED" posts.

pert:
I tried to establish standard procedures for the moderators, which specifically instruct them to not create these redirect posts.

IMHO those redirect Posts are extremely helpful for newbies. Without them the newbie generally assumes his Post has been deleted.

Imagine what would you do if you came out of the supermarket and discovered your parking spot was empty because the management moved your car to a different car park without leaving a note about where its new position was.

...R

The MOVED topics alerts are also LOCKED to allow them to drop away naturally.
They are also supposed to have a limited timespan selectable by the moderators (usually a week)

There are a few other posts in this section that alert you to the fact that the forum software currently being used will be transitioned to a newer software and that the current SMF is no longer being supported.

There is currently no timescale for the switch over.

RudolfAtRTC:
The forum contains (estimated) 10% entries with the attribute "MOVED".

By "the forum" I assume you mean the entire Arduino forum in which case you are easily off by more than an order of magnitude.

Why are these "dead entries" preserved?

I promise. There is more than enough storage for all of us.