Visual Basic COM port access denied

Hi, I just recently got an Arduino Mega2560 and after spending hours messing with the serial communication I finally got it to work. Now I just need Visual Basic to send a PWM value over serial to the Arudino to control an LED. Only problem is, I keep getting an error that access to the serial port is denied (A first chance exception of type 'System.UnauthorizedAccessException' occurred in System.dll).

I have a program I wrote in order to test the serial with VB that seems to work fine.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Try
            SerialPort1.Open()
            SerialPort1.Write(TextBox1.Text)
            SerialPort1.Close()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(Err.Description)
        End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        SerialPort1.Close()
        SerialPort1.PortName = "com3" 'change com port to match your Arduino port
        SerialPort1.BaudRate = 9600
        SerialPort1.DataBits = 8
        SerialPort1.Parity = Parity.None
        SerialPort1.StopBits = StopBits.One
        SerialPort1.Handshake = Handshake.None
        SerialPort1.Encoding = System.Text.Encoding.Default 'very important!
    End Sub
End Class

But when I try to call this method in another program to write the serial value when a slider is moved I get the error. Sometimes I will be able to get a few slides in with no error, and other times I get it right away. It seems almost random.

Private Sub SendSerialValues(redVal As Integer, greenVal As Integer, blueVal As Integer)
        Label2.Text = ("Serial Write: " & redVal.ToString.PadLeft(3, "0")) 'For debugging only
        Dim LedSerial As New SerialPort
        LedSerial.Close()
        LedSerial.PortName = "COM3" 'change com port to match your Arduino port
        LedSerial.BaudRate = 9600
        LedSerial.DataBits = 8
        LedSerial.Parity = Parity.None
        LedSerial.StopBits = StopBits.One
        LedSerial.Handshake = Handshake.None
        LedSerial.Encoding = System.Text.Encoding.Default 'very important!
        Try
            LedSerial.Open()
            LedSerial.Write(redVal.ToString.PadLeft(3, "0"))
            LedSerial.Close()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(Err.Description)
        End Try

End Sub

could it be that the value of the slider is changing so quickly that the com port is getting bombarded with LedSerial.Write commands before the previous one is completed.

I see you have LedSerial.Close() at the start of Private Sub SendSerialValues. Is this not closing the com port for the first value being sent to the port, when the second value is trying to be sent to the port. ( so write #1 is having its port closed - before it completes - because write #2 is coming along quickly and closing the port ).

Maybe test to ensure the write is completed before allowing the next value to close the port at the start of the code.

Just a guess.

Comment out the write and see if the exception occurs with just a open and close.

Also, the following doesn't make sense, if the object has just been created, it should not be open. I'm only speculating, I don't know the library, also haven't touched VB since VB6

Dim LedSerial As New SerialPort
LedSerial.Close()

Could it be the Arduino resetting when the serial port is opened?

I got rid of the Serial.Close() at the beginning and made the serial write less frequently. I think all that fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.