visual micro or "arduino" extention in visual studio code

Hi,

I would like to have some tools to be able to debug my sketches easier, like debug modes in most pc ides. And I have install arduino ide and visual studio code 2020.

I found microsoft has an extension called “arduino” in the visual studio code extension but everyone seems to like the visual micro developed by some other smart people.

Is there any big difference between these two? Any suggestions?

I have downloaded the visual micro from the marketplace:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualMicro.ArduinoIDEforVisualStudio
When I tried to install it in the visual studio extension session, it shows a error saying the vsix file dosn’t have extension/package.json…

@joedodo

Your topic was Moved to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

I am using a Visual Studio Code extension called PlatformIO which supports debugging using breakpoints etc but it needs extra hardware and an "Arduino" that supports it

If I understand things correctly Visual Studio Code is not the same thing as Visual Studio. Which do you have and where does Visual Micro, mentioned in your topic title, come into it ?

ballscrewbob:
@joedodo

Your topic was Moved to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

oh. I first searched for this topic using google and it leads to this place. I thought it is the right place to ask. Thanks for redirecting.

UKHeliBob:
I am using a Visual Studio Code extension called PlatformIO which supports debugging using breakpoints etc but it needs extra hardware and an "Arduino" that supports it

If I understand things correctly Visual Studio Code is not the same thing as Visual Studio. Which do you have and where does Visual Micro, mentioned in your topic title, come into it ?

the one I used is visual studio code. I mentioned in the first thread, I downloaded the visual micro from the marketplace of visualstudio.

If you have already got Visual Studio Code (VSC) installed try installing the PlatformIO extension from within VSC and try it out