Vocabulary

Hi! Where can I find basic definitions and the relationships between

• ohms
  • volts
  • amps
  • capacitance
  • etc.

and the difference between serial, analog, and digital (like on the Arduino board pin labels???) and the difference between dc and ac? Thanks so much!!

Sincerely,
Very Confused :wink:

Nothing will beat Google, but Wikipedia will have good writeups on all these things. Within the Adruino web site, try http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/ElectroInfoResources

Hi! Where can I find basic definitions and the relationships between ohms volts amps capacitance etc. and the difference between serial, analog, and digital (like on the Arduino board pin labels???) and the difference between dc and ac? Thanks so much!!

These are topics that one learns while going through a course on electronics DC & AC fundamentals. Most any lesson plan or tutorial will cover these subjects. The web has many learning resources available.

Here is a quick one goggle coughed up: http://www.electronicstheory.com/html/cindex.htm

Lefty

Also, may I recommend two of my favorite books, the first is beginner-level, the second is intermediate-level. They address the questions you asked... Both are fantastically written, with much clarity and comprehensiveness of information. You can get them at the library but if you were to purchase them, these would be lifelong friends for reference. To this day, I still learn something new when I go through these two books:

"Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest Mims

"Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz

Hi! Where can I find basic definitions and the relationships between

• ohms
  • volts
  • amps
  • capacitance
  • etc.

and the difference between serial, analog, and digital (like on the Arduino board pin labels???) and the difference between dc and ac? Thanks so much!!

Ohms: Ohms are a measure of resistance that something applies against the power flowing. ohms = votage / current, where voltage is the voltage drop between the contacts of the component being tested.

Volts: Voltage is a measure of potential difference between two contacts. That is, the ammount of push that the electrons are experiencing between two points. voltage = current * resistance

Amps: Amps are measurements of current. They measure the ammount of electricity that flows. current = voltage / resistance

Serial: Serial is when digital 'bits' are sent one after another. A bit is either a 1 or a 0, and represents a number.

Digital: Digital uses just two numbers - 1 and 0 - to represent decimal numbers. 1 is when a pin is on, and 0 is when a pin is off - high and low. In digital, each bit of the number is either one value, or another value. Nothing exists in between.

Analogue: Analogue is when something changes smoothly. Rather than just being on or off, it can be any value.

Parallel: This is when all the bits are sent at the same time, through seperate wires. Altohugh you did not aks about it, it makes sense to add it in.

For voltage, current and resistance, imagine a water pipe. The width of the pipe is the resistance in a component - thinner pipes let less water flow, so have a higher resistance. The current is simply the ammount of water flowing through the pipe, and voltage is the ammount of force pushing the water through. as there is only force on one side of the pipe pushing the water, and none at the other, we call the non pumping side '0v', as there is 0 volts of force pushing or pulling.

Stairs are a good analogy for digital. When you are on a stair, you are either up on one stair, or down on the other. You do not float around in between.

For analogue, a ramp is a good analogy. You can be anywhere on it - completely up, in the middle, all the way down, or somewhere else. This is like an analogue voltage.

For counting in binary, check here: http://www.glassgiant.com/geek/count_to_31_on_one_hand/

Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong. Hope it all helps! Onions.