Voice call via Ethernet

Hey everyone

I going to build up a kind of Walkie-talkie with Arduino, based on Ethernet.
I mean I’ve 12 clients and 1 master that I need each client can communicate with master by sound and via Ethernet, it’s kind of VoIP.
So do you think Arduino can handle this problem? and UDP protocol is suitable for this work? And what about the latency and the other issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So do you think Arduino can handle this problem?

I'm going to guess no...The audio has to be sampled at a constant rate, so without a separate audio-clock and buffer you'd have to pause the Ethernet operations every time you sample the audio. All of your digital processing has to take place in-between audio samples and you'll probably run out of processing power. And, if you want to talk & listen at the same time you've got to do twice as much stuff between audio samples.

You'd also need to add a microphone preamp, a DAC, and an amplifier for the speaker.

DVDdoug: I'm going to guess no.

That would be my guess too.

@ DVDdoug @ Grumpy_Mike Please do not tell me its impossible else you have a solution I have to do this work until the last of this month. So please guide me anything you think about this problem!

What about a local VoIP? what do you think about Arduino Mega or ARM base Arduino? What about RBP or TI boards? What do you think about the UPD and which ways of data transition is better in your idea? About sound input, I know exactly what I have to do because I did a similar project with a microphone, amplifier, and speaker. Please tell me anything you know about this project and guide me. Many thanks Abolfazl Nejatian

Please do not tell me its impossible else you have a solution

If you don't want to know the answer why ask the question

So do you think Arduino can handle this problem?

Digitising 12 channels of audio at the same time on any sort of Arduino is too much. UPD is a very unreliable way of sending data due to dropped packages. I don't think you have enough processing power or memory space on any Arm based Arduino.

It is not enough to want to do something you have to know what limits you have to work with. Do some calculations and see for yourself the memory requirements for this. But my gut feeling is that it cannot be done.

AbolfazlNejatian

AbolfazlNejatian: @ DVDdoug @ Grumpy_Mike Please do not tell me its impossible else you have a solution I have to do this work until the last of this month.

Two months ago you didn't know what a shift register was, now you want to build a VOIP system.

First you need to learn to walk before you can run. Connect two Arduinos with ethernet and see what throughput is realistically achievable, then try digitising a 10 Hz signal and see if you can send/receive that. If that doesn't work then you have no hope of sending audio.