voltage divider tact switches with interrupt

Hi all,
I like using voltage dividers with multiple tact switches to create multiple buttons on a single I/O pin. I normally use a digital interrupt pin that runs through buttons to ground, with a second analog pin to read different voltages depending on which button is pressed. With this setup, everything works fine, and I can wake an IC from sleep with a whole bunch of buttons that cause different things.

I wanted to go one step further, and use only one pin to do all of this. So 5v would run through buttons up to gnd, and interrupt would trigger the analog pin, and then voltage would be read. I dont know however if divided voltage would be sufficient to trigger the interrupt however…

So I tried modifying my normal 2-pin code to turn into a 1-pin multiple interrupt program, but it doesnt work well. Interrupts are not always triggered, which is wierd, and sometimes they trigger when I simply approach my finger?

here is my non functional code: thanks!

/**************************************************************************************************************************************************************/
////LIBRARIES
/**************************************************************************************************************************************************************/

#include <avr/sleep.h>
#include <avr/interrupt.h>
#include <SoftwareServo.h>

////PINS

//#define voltagePin  2
#define ledPin  1
#define voltagePin  A2

////VARIABLES

//WDT variables
volatile int watchDog_counter;
int wd_target = 2; //target for wd counter

//PC interrupt variables
volatile int buttonFlag;
unsigned long last_interrupt_time;
int voltage;

// values are set depending on resistor values.
//3 resistors used (1 per button): 1.5k, 5.6k, 7.5k
#define minNb  190 //175 to 185 based on a ___ resistor value for "Num of meals" button
#define maxNb  205
#define minSize  210 //189 to 220 based on a ___ resistor value for "Size of meals" button
#define maxSize  1023
#define minReset  0 //120 to 166 based on a ___ resistor value for SELECT button
#define maxReset  189

//Food Data variables

//amount of meals per day
int meal_nb = 1;
#define max_meal_nb 3

//amount of cylinder spins (meal size)
int meal_size = 1;
#define max_meal_size 5

//Servo variables
int pos = 0; //NEEDS TO BE AN INT, NOT A BYTE

////OBJECTS
SoftwareServo feederServo;      // creates feederServo as object to control a servo

////SETUP

void setup() {

// watchDog_counter = 0;

//SoftwareServo setup
  feederServo.attach(0);                        // attaches the servo on pin 0 to the servo object

//pins setup
  DDRB &= ~(1 << voltagePin);
  PORTB |= (1 << voltagePin);
  DDRB |= (1 << ledPin);

//Pin Change interrupt setup
  //Enable interrupts
  GIMSK |= (1 << PCIE);
  PCMSK |= _BV(PCINT4);
  sei();

//EXT INTERRUPT STUFF
  //IMSK |= (1 << PCIE);
  //set low lvl trigger (keeps triggering while button not released)
  //MCUCR &= ~(1 << ISC01);
  //TRYING TO PUT THIS INSTEAD!! (FOR FALLING EDGE):  MCUCR |= (1 << ISC01);
  //MCUCR |= (1 << ISC00);

sleep_enable();
  set_sleep_mode(SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN);
}

////LOOP

void loop() {
  //Watchdog timer setup  //Putting this in setup causes a problem when servo writing
  //This order of commands is important and cannot be combined
  MCUSR &= ~(1 << WDRF); //Clear the watch dog reset
  WDTCR |= (1 << WDCE) | (1 << WDE); //Set WD_change enable, set WD enable
  WDTCR = 0B100001; //Set prescaler to 8 sec (see p.46 of datasheet to change prescaler), and OVERWRITE WDTCR value ( dont just use |= )
  WDTCR |= _BV(WDIE); //Set the interrupt enable, this will keep unit from resetting after each int

ADCSRA &= ~_BV(ADEN);      //Turn ADC off, saves ~230uA
  sleep_cpu();
  ADCSRA |= _BV(ADEN);        //will ADC need to be turned on after sleep?

delay(1000);
  PORTB &= ~(1 << ledPin);

if (!(watchDog_counter % wd_target)) {
    //  feedTheFish();
  }

if (buttonFlag) {
    // buttonsAction(); //reads voltage and makes a different action depending on button that was pressed
    buttonFlag = 0;
  }

}

////FUNCTIONS

ISR(PCINT0_vect) { //NOT PCINT0_vect!
  if (!(PINB & (1 << PB4))) buttonFlag = 1; //tell the arduino a button was pressed, not released
  PORTB |= (1 << ledPin);
}

ISR(WDT_vect) {
  watchDog_counter++;
  PORTB |= (1 << ledPin);
}

You need to sort out your hardware first before even bothering to look at code.

and sometimes they trigger when I simply approach my finger?

Yes that means you have a bad hardware design and your pin is floating.

So 5v would run through buttons up to gnd

Incredibly vague and anyway things do not run UP to ground they run DOWN to ground.

Basically we need to see a schematic.

In the meantime read up about floating inputs here:- Inputs