Voltage Drop - LED Strip?

I've got a sketch that runs a bunch of addressable LED's - imagine two led strips - connected by about 30 ft of wire in between the two strips. The issue I"m having is that with the wire line that carries the data that length, can't seem to send the proper signal to the second set of lights. I can boost the voltage to the pwr and ground to carry enough power to the second set of lights, but is there a way to boost the strength to the data line?

Yes. Add one LED halfway along the data line. Each addressable LED boosts the data signal. (It must be powered, of course.)

In your software, make that LED always show black.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Of course it goes without saying that the data and ground wires are never separated between the first strip and the second. :roll_eyes:

Hi,

I can boost the voltage to the pwr and ground to carry enough power to the second set of lights, but is there a way to boost the strength to the data line?

Don't increase the voltage of the LED strip power supply to make up for losses in the length of the strip.
Add a parallel heavier gauge power pair along side the first strip and splice it into the start of the second strip.
Keep the existing gnd and power connections between the first and second strip, to keep signal integrity.

Boosting the voltage will damage the first strip, as it has to withstand the higher potential.

Tom.. :slight_smile: