Voltage for 4mw laser diode.

I have purchased a number of 4mw 650nm laser modules from virtual village but there is no link to a datasheet or any info on what power requirements it has.

4mW 650nm Laser Diode Module This brand new 4mw 650nm red laser module benefits from a super bright light and a substantial 600m range.

Anyone have any ideas as to what kind of voltage they will require. Any links to a datasheet? Any similar products I can compare to?

Thanks,

Mowcius

It's lower power but do they look like this:- http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=11712

Well I do have 20 so if I break one then it's not the end of the world, i'll try it on lower v to start with and see what seems about right.

Thanks for your help anyway

I think you need a current limiting diode resistor, otherwise it will burn out in a very short time.

I tried to use a few from some cheap laserpointers, and i burned out 2 before i realised that needed a resistor.

I used 4.5V because that was the same as the laserpointer used.

i can't remember what value resistor i used.

Well I was going to try them on 3.3v first and then see if that is bright enough. I only (at the moment) need them to span about 3-4" for a light gate so as long as it is bright enough for that then it'll be fine :D

If it is dim on 3.3 then I will boost it up a bit. I'll just have a fiddle with one and see what I come up with. I am going to try and contact VV again and see what they say.

Mowcius