Voltage step-up to 5v - Relay activation for fire alarm control panel

Hello all,

Well, im a newb to Arduino, confident ill pick it up allright though.

My plan is to build a fire alarm control panel, (uk type) google it for info on what they are and do. Anyway, im a bit stuck in this, and my electronics knowledge is good, but i want to be sure, as i dont want the fire alarm control panel to go on fire XD

Most fire alarm devices work on 12vdc, to a max of around 24vd. The arduino only outputs 5v (UNO) and i want to activate a relay so i can activate a sounder (12v).

My problem is though, how you stepup 5vdc to 12vdc, for the relay, ive read articles that use transistors etc but i want to be sure whats the best way to go.

An help is appreciated, and hope someone could possibly help.

Thanks in advance!

Mike.

Probably easiest to grab one of these relays from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-5V-2-Channel-Relay-Module-Shield-for-Arduino-ARM-PIC-AVR-DSP-Electronic-10A-/290754099268?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item43b24b7844. I’m new to arduino but had no problem wiring this up and using arduino to control ac fans.

In the description it mentions “Equipped with high-current relay, AC250V 10A, AC150V 10A,DC30V 10A,DC28V 10A.”. I assume it will also allow control of a 12v or 24v appliance also (may want to check with someone more experienced).

That might actually do the job nicley, think i was over-thinking it. Thanks alot.

Mike.