VU meter or Blink to music

I started playing with the Arduino and I was wondering if anyone build anything to make LED’s blink to music or a VU meter? I wouldn’t know where to start.

Thanks,
:slight_smile:

you could start by getting sound/volume into your arduino. there’s a how-to for microphone input here : http://tinkerlog.com/2007/05/20/cheap-sound-sensor-for-avr/

is it possible to build something similar but “digital” for midi controller?
(thus, it can read the Level meters from Logic, cubase, etc…)

cheers,
warp

is it possible to build something similar but “digital” for midi controller?
(thus, it can read the Level meters from Logic, cubase, etc…)

it depends on how you can make those apps send you your information. if it’s midi no problem, but if we’re talking about analog audio (from a headphones jack for example) you can try hooking it directly to some analog pin on your board plus ground to ground. note that the signal will between -1V and + 1V (i think) so you may need to amplify it to use the full range of the analog port (0-5V).

thanks kuk,

i mean thru MIDI. I assume Logic pro or Cubase are able to send, as MIDI data, the Level meters they have on their mixers.
I’ve been looking for a while and can’t find any example or anything

thanks

i mean thru MIDI. I assume Logic pro or Cubase are able to send, as MIDI data, the Level meters they have on their mixers.

i’m not sure if they do, but if i would be interested to know. interpreting midi is no big deal, if you know the status byte of the “audio volume message”. if you don’t know, you can use an application like midi monitor (os x) to see what kind of messages are sent at all.

i see, however there must be a way of doing it.
Level metering is an option in many control surfaces

i found this pdf: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/logic/Logic_Control_Surfaces_Info.pdf

it seems indeed logic is able to send meter levels as sysEx (non standard) midi messages. since sysEx messages don’t have a fixed length (like 3 bytes for a “Note On”) it might get a little tricky to get into this. i’d recommend trying the midi monitor that i mentioned. maybe all your info is in the pdf, i didn’t really read it.

oh that’s great!

i’ll have a look to that .pdf…

thanks kuk

You could try searching for info on existing standards (e.g. Mackie HUI / Control). You can set DAWs (e.g. Cubase, Logic) to communicate two-way with these using standards (I believe Cubase also has a ‘generic’ set of drivers, but these may not so everything you need).