W5100 based Ethernet shield problem

Hi, I just received my ethernet shield from ebay. It works only if I upload the sketch before to connect the shield. If the shield is connected I'm not able to upload the sketch to my Arduino UNO R3. I get this error: "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

How can I solve this issue? It is not comfortable detaching the shield for every upload!

Thanks

Some ethernet shields have a problem with allowing the Arduino to reset and start the bootloader. Try pressing the reset button on the Arduino/shield when you start the compile and release it when you see the "uploading" message.

LOL it worked thank you ;)

But, is it possible to use Serial and Ethernet communication at same tame? (just for curiosity!)

rfringuello89: But, is it possible to use Serial and Ethernet communication at same tame? (just for curiosity!)

Yes. It only affects the reset and bootloader. The serial and ethernet functions should work fine together.

OK thanks again ;)

Sounds like the Ethernet shield may have a PoE option, which may cause the reset issue.

SurferTim: Try pressing the reset button on the Arduino/shield when you start the compile and release it when you see the "uploading" message.

Hi, I'm working with the EasyVR shield and if I upload the sketch with the shield attached, I'm greeted by

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

The solution that was mentioned does not work for me either. It seems that the shield interferes with the TR/TX pins. However, the shield has on board memory for the speech recognition data, so disconnecting the shield is not an option (it does solve the avrdude error though).

I feel like this goes for all shields, so I post this issue here. Is there another way?

That solution will not work with your shield. The EasyVR shield isn’t an ethernet shield, and it uses the serial interface for communication rather than the SPI bus. That will probably interfere with the program upload.