w5100-> Travel Router-> Wireless AP-> Home Router?

Just wondering if anyone has tried and had any luck with the scenario outlined in the Subject? I’ve got a wireless AP directed out into our yard to pick up some wifi cameras and was thinking maybe i could add a travel router to my W5100 ethernet shield (chicken coop) and get that on network as well? I don’t know a whole lot about wireless networking, but from what I’ve read so far it seems like it should be doable…? I’m thinking the travel router would be set up in client mode with DHCP disabled and handled by the main router? basically I think I’d be creating a bridge between the travel router and the AP?

I’ve tinkered around with it a bit so far, but haven’t been able to get an IP on the W5100 yet… I’m thinking maybe the travel router I have doesn’t have the functionality in the firmware and I would either need to flash it with dd wart if I’m able or just get a different travel router… thought I’d check with the experts first before i go any further and see if I’m wasting my time or not… any tips on configuring would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks,
Joe

I have. Requires some routing. I use Mikrotik routers without problems. What specific equipment do you have in mind?

I don't know what a wireless AP is, but the only Arduino WiFi operation I ever use is by feeding from a W5100 Ethernet shield into a multi-purpose travel router that operates as a WiFi repeater. I also submit that, if you already have an Ethernet shield, you would need some pretty persuasive reasons to use anything else.

I believe you should look for one that has two RJ sockets, as they are more versatile. If you live outside the US sphere of influence in power outlets, you should look carefully at the mains adapter. Mine is particularly crappy.

Thanks for the quick replies!

SurferTim:
I have. Requires some routing. I use Mikrotik routers without problems. What specific equipment do you have in mind?

I don't have a specific router in mind although I was checking out amazon and this one caught my eye... a few similar ones as well... http://a.co/c4sr1g0

I also have a cheap little IP camera in the coop that currently connects to my network via wifi, but not very well so i was thinking i could maybe hook it up to the travel router as well as the W5100 and hopefully get both onto the network with a decent connection...

If anyone can tell me where i should direct my research efforts towards learning how I'm going to need to set it up (i.e.; client, bridge, repeater, AP mode) I'd appreciate it!

Nick mentioned that he'd used repeater mode, if I understand correctly, repeater mode cuts the bandwidth in half so i'm wondering if this is the only way? best way?

Thanks,
Joe

If your main router supports WDS, then that device should be ok. No guarantee. here is a page for setting up the correct mode.
http://www.gl-inet.com/docs/mini/internet/#repeater-bridge-wds

That looks pretty flash. I think the thing that counts is the two RJ sockets. This enabled mine to serve as the main house router in emergency.

if I understand correctly, repeater mode cuts the bandwidth in half

I'm not aware of this. If it does, I certainly don't find it a problem, but I am just sending numeric data.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes!