Wake Arduino from Radio Signal

Hello,

I am thinking of a project that requires a device that lies dormant for long periods of time (maybe months). I have looked at some great articles about low power consumption on the Arduino Pro Mini and the various sleep modes. What I want to be able to do is send a form of wireless signal to the remote device to wake it up and perform an action.

I have looked into a few different Radio Transceivers and the ESP8266 chips. Is it possible to use these chips to wake up an Arduino or would the arduino need to be running for these chips to function? Am I looking in the wrong places? Any suggestions are welcome.

Summary: Device sits on shelf for months and then based off of signal will turn on an indicating light. How would you go about this?

Thank you

Any digital pin can be used to wake the Arduino. The radio receiver would have to be on all the time, of course.

For information about sleep modes and power saving, see this excellent tutorial.

Pagers, mobile phones etc turn on their receivers periodically to see if they are being called to save power.

Pagers used to get a life of about 6 weeks from a single AAA cell.

Allan.

bcorcoranj:
Summary: Device sits on shelf for months and then based off of signal will turn on an indicating light. How would you go about this?

Depends entirely on the radio reciver used, how often and for how long you turn it on to listen for a signal, how much current it consumes during that period and of course how big the battery is.

Most of our hobby\arduino style radio modules do consume a reasonable amount power when they are actually listening, maybe 10-20mA.

Its a numbers game.