walk through Firmata ..

When I look for info on Firmata, I get to look at a lot of code I generally don’t understand.
Does anyone have a good link on Firmata-talk ? Or dare to take me through some basic steps.

I’ve employed the allInput example, and it works. It’s confusing, when tapping through (in processing)

for (int i = 0; i <= 13; i++) {
    if (arduino.digitalRead(i) == Arduino.HIGH){

i no longer represent the original pin used (I use pin 11 and it matches i=3)

I’ve tried to be smart and reduce the code to get a ‘simple’ read of an analog value … but won’t work. I’m sure there is a simper and more direct way to reach that goal than to take the allInput example apart.
The simpleAnalogFirmata example uses a callback-function “analogWriteCallback( … )” … It’ll have to be an accessible function in processing, but how do I recognize it there?

It'll have to be an accessible function in processing, but how do I recognize it there?

Why would something that happens only on the Arduino have to be accessible in Processing?

It's confusing, when tapping through (in processing)

What does "tapping through" mean?

This isn't "Snippets are us". They're down the road a piece. This is "All the code, all the time".

You could try the Firmata site - http://firmata.org/wiki/Main_Page. I have to say, though, I find it better to write my own sketches on the Arduino and in Processing, and ignore Firmata altogether.

Hi dxw00d,

dxw00d: I have to say, though, I find it better to write my own sketches on the Arduino and in Processing, and ignore Firmata altogether.

I'm out late on responding, I hope you still are around. The meaning of your line didn't strike me at first .. Can I assume, that you'll build a way to communicate over the serial? I could do that (I did it from visual basic), but the focus would be to make it sufficiently fast. .. Maybe I should have a look at SPI and see if that can bring me anywhere.

Can I assume, that you'll build a way to communicate over the serial?

That's what Firmata does, so, yes.

but the focus would be to make it sufficiently fast.

Sending ASCII data is not the way to do it, then. Send binary data - much faster.

That's what Firmata does, so, yes.

Well, it takes time to get to know all components.

Sending ASCII data is not the way to do it, then. Send binary data - much faster.

I googled around to get a gist on weather I could use usb for the SPI bitbanging. That appears to not be the case. I need one bit. And I need it now. Anyway, time rushes on. The project is obsolete.

I googled around to get a gist on weather I could use usb for the SPI bitbanging. That appears to not be the case.

Not unless you put the USB on the end of a servo, and use the servo to bang on something. The combination just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, time rushes on. The project is obsolete.

I've had projects like that. Cancelled just days before release. Sucks big time.