walking light with less leds then in code

Strange question maybe but..

i need to make a very simple code for a "walking light" on a ws2812b 5050 rgb ledstrip.

meaning that one light will go on and off again when the following led goes on (so just one at a time on) i want this, as i need to cut off each separate led from a 144 leds strip (so into 144 pcs) and solder them together again.

i would like to have a quick visual confirmation buy running this code, so i can verify that the soldering connections are good (specifically the data line) as the 5+ and grounds are ofcourse easy to check.

but for this to work as i need to understand the following.

what will happen if i program for #144 leds but connect (any) number LESS than that and still run the code. ???

hope someone can give a simple answer on this.

don't worry about the why i need to cut them separate, it's really not important to the question just on the why i want to know, no 'solution' needed there.

kind regards

Matt

what will happen if i program for #144 leds but connect (any) number LESS than that and still run the code. ???

It will run just like you have coded it for the number of lights you have. Then when the last physical one is turned off there will be a delay as all the coded ones go on and off, then it will start again from the beginning with the real lights coming on.

thank you! that is exactly what i hoped would happen.

your answer is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Matt