Wall mounted push buttons

Hi there,

I’ve got a little home automation project working with an Arduino, an SSR and a breadboard with a push button. You press the button and the Arduino tells a light to turn on or off (depending on previous button state), and the code does a de-bounce.

Now I’m ready to take it to the next step, which is to wall-mount the button, but this is where I am stuck. I have a standard electrical wall mount light switch button, but that is either constantly on or off, it’s not like my little push electronic push button.

Are there wall mount (plastic plate style) enclosures which contain or let you put in a little push button like the one on my breadboard?

All feedback welcome of course :slight_smile:

In the USA, Radio Shack has buttons that fit in a 1/2" hole you drill in the wall: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062510. Like regular light fixtures, you would then run the cables behind the wall.

I would go to home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot), regular hardware stores (Ace, etc.), electrical supply stores, electronics stores, but probably not big box stores like Best Buy. Maybe even Walmart/Target. I suspect this is hard to order on the internet, since a lot of it will be how it looks and feels.

If you only need a single pole, how about a regular door-bell pushbutton switch? ;)

You could also buy a plate with a single round hole in the middle and mount a button like the one described by MichaelMeissner on the plate.

bibre: If you only need a single pole, how about a regular door-bell pushbutton switch? ;)

You could also buy a plate with a single round hole in the middle and mount a button like the one described by MichaelMeissner on the plate.

Thanks for both your feedback, I think I will give this a go, mounting on an existing wall plate with a round hole. The other option I am thinking about is to use Clipsal (Schneider) C-Bus wall mount buttons, which I assume (!!) work the same way as my push button, because the C-Bus system uses low voltage Cat6 to go back to their controllers, much in the same way I have Cat6 cable going back to the Arduino :-)

Thanks again!