Walstad Fishtank Monitor

Hello arduino fans,

I’m wondering how feasible a monitoring system is for a Walstad fish tank.

It needs to be able to measure a wide range of factors such as:
Dissolved CO2
Dissolved organic carbon in mg/l
pH
Ammonia
These heavy metals in ppm:
Calcium
Magnesium
Chlorine
Potassium
Silicone
Nitrogen
Phosphorus
Iron
Manganese
Cadmium
Chromium
Copper
Lead
Mercury
Zinc

It doesn’t have to connect up to anything, just saving to a micro SD card would be fine.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Is there anything special about a "Walstad Fishtank"?

Your biggest problem will be finding sensors to measure ALL the parameters you list.

An Arduino controller can interface with these monitors if they are analog, I2C, SPI, RS232 or similar output.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Do You have formulas telling You anything out of all those measurements? Measuring is fun but how to use the data?

You probably need a spectrum analyzer and that calls for a big, really big, wallet.

walstadtankmonitor:
Hello arduino fans,

I’m wondering how feasible a monitoring system is for a Walstad fish tank.

It needs to be able to measure a wide range of factors such as:
Dissolved CO2
Dissolved organic carbon in mg/l
pH
Ammonia
These heavy metals in ppm:
Calcium
Magnesium
Chlorine
Potassium
Silicone
Nitrogen
Phosphorus
Iron
Manganese
Cadmium
Chromium
Copper
Lead
Mercury
Zinc

It doesn’t have to connect up to anything, just saving to a micro SD card would be fine.

That you came here to learn, I'll try to lend a hand.

If you enter the words "arduino Dissolved CO2" into your favorite search engine, you'll get some results. If you were to take each item on your list and do a search for it, you'll get hits on some and others you'll have to do a bit of digging. I recommend you, also search to see if the items, if needed, has libraries already written, and download the spec sheets of those items. Frankly, if an item does not have a data sheet, look to the next device.

Have fun.

You have a lot of work ahead of you. How deep is your pocket, this is definately not a inexpensive endevor. for example: The analysis of heavy metals is quite feasible by ICP-MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry). The mineralization matrix can be managed simply by dilution. The sensitivity of the technique is sufficient to ensure the necessary quantification limits. The memory effect of mercury, for example, can be managed by gold doping at a suitable concentration. The ICP-MS then presents all the guarantees for a very good validity of heavy metal dosage. The method is then simple to implement in the context of routine analyzes. This is one of the mid range ones. Sit back and think this through. Why not start by defining the problem with specifications including a flow chart and schematic. Define what is the expected outcome. Purchase the Arduino cookbook and read it, this will give you some basics. also use the online tutorials and videos available, there are many good ones on this web site. At this point you will be able to define the problem and may have already solved it.