Want create a lap timer

Hello all,
I’m looking to make a lap timer for my motorcycle based of GPS. I also want to capture lean angle and as well as the angle when acceleration and deceleration, and want to get speed too. Is there any one out there that can help me with this as well give me pointers/advice.

Thanks.

This forum generally works by people posting their best efforts at programming what they want and getting help to improve the code and/or fix any problems/errors. Have you got any code, what hardware do you have, what is your level of experience with electronics and programming ?

If you are prepared to pay for help then this topic can be moved to the Gigs and Collaborations section. If that is what you want then please click "Report to moderator" and ask for it to be moved

slawson1:
Hello all,
I'm looking to make a lap timer for my motorcycle based of GPS. I also want to capture lean angle and as well as the angle when acceleration and deceleration, and want to get speed too. Is there any one out there that can help me with this as well give me pointers/advice.

Thanks.

You can get GPS, an accelerometer and a gyroscope but can you write the code to use them?

My code experience is still on the beginner level. I have wrote simple codes and programs, but I for see this being a complex code. The only equipment I have so far is an arduino mega board kit.

slawson1:
My code experience is still on the beginner level. I have wrote simple codes and programs, but I for see this being a complex code. The only equipment I have so far is an arduino mega board kit.

Mega board kit? Is that one of those board plus assorted addons sets?

What you can code is your software tools. Do you know arrays and loops?

GoForSmoke:
Mega board kit? Is that one of those board plus assorted addons sets?

What you can code is your software tools. Do you know arrays and loops?

I know loops, arrays not so much.

You can not capture lean angle with an accellerometer. This is basic physics.

That's what the gyro is for.

Slawson, you need to work more on code just to begin to plan how to do it. There's much you don't know is possible that you will will need, it's better to learn to use all the tools in the box than to carve statues with just the screwdriver.

Be aware that if this is for track day use; lap timers are often not allowed - worth checking

Thanks all for your help

First thing is to check to see if your motorcycle has an Automotive MMU package. If it does, your already ahead of the game.

Next, does your bike have a ECU? If it does great.

Hobby type MMU will not generate the scale or readings that a Automotive MMU will. I'd would not even frack around with hobby type MMU's for the project as described.

If you got a MMU and a ECU, with a ODBII port, the project will be a lot simpler. Just get a module that will plug into the ODBII port. I use FreeMantics with the 90 degree plug. The Freemantics does all the work of interfacing to the ECU. I then write a program to get at the data I want and to display that data on screen.

Unlike mechanics, the fellows at the parts place are quite willing to give up the 'secret codes', just visit them when they are not busy.

If your bike does not have a automotive grade MMU (IMU) then those fellows at the parts place can get you one.