want to use arduino to make a microstepper for a watch

i have zero experience in anything to do with arduino or programming but i do have a design idea for a watch that uses arduino inside of it. Here is my idea, i want to make a watch that has a single needle design and the needle needs to move like a tachometer would inside a car. I basically need s minuature version of what the tach does in a car shrunk to fit a watch. ive done some research and wondered if this is possible with ardiuno? Any questions let me know, thanks a ton

That should be theoretically possible, but can you built & fabricate things that small? I assume a quartz watch with a mechanical movement probably uses a stepper motor.

Here is my idea, i want to make a watch that has a single needle design and the needle needs to move like a tachometer would inside a car.

Do you mean like a [u]meter movement[/u]? You should be able to simulate that by micro-stepping a stepper motor.

You can use a 8 pin attiny in a smd package. The attiny 10 is even available in a 6 pin sot package. But i would rather program them using avr studio than arduino

What size do you expect the final product to be?

Have you identified a suitable stepper motor? if so, please post a link to its datasheet.

...R

DVDdoug: I assume a quartz watch with a mechanical movement probably uses a stepper motor.

It does, except of course that it has only one coil which is pulsed very briefly rather than continuously powered.

this is my concept, need something to move the needle to show the time and when i the needle hits 12 it needs tp spin or retrograde backwards like a cars tach

Robin2:
What size do you expect the final product to be?

Have you identified a suitable stepper motor? if so, please post a link to its datasheet.

…R

I have no clues where to start, my ideas that lead me here to this forum were based on web searches, kinda need someone to point me int he right direction.

Neat.

I like it.

The LCD makes things challenging. The ATtiny10 / ATtiny85 won't have enough pins to drive a bare-glass LCD, you will probably want to source an LCD module with a controller built-in to it.

You don't need a reversible stepper. At 12:59*, just step the motor rapidly forward several times until the needle reaches 1. So, a traditional watch mechanism may be suitable.

• Oh and by the way, I think your scale needs to go to an invisible 13 so that the needle has hash marks to point to from 12:00 to 12:59.

EDIT: It looks like a traditional quartz clock movement can be reversed if you reverse the polarity of the electromagnet coil. So, an H-bridge "should" (in theory) be able to reverse a standard clock mechanism if you really want to go backwards. Or even just connecting the coil to two ATtiny I/O pins and pulsing one high and the other low for one direction, and the opposite to go backwards.

tylernt: The LCD makes things challenging. The ATtiny10 / ATtiny85 won't have enough pins to drive a bare-glass LCD, you will probably want to source an LCD module with a controller built-in to it.

And a very small module at that.

tylernt: Oh and by the way, I think your scale needs to go to an invisible 13 so that the needle has hash marks to point to from 12:00 to 12:59.

No, you didn't look at the concept photos closely enough. 12 is actually zero, so it returns when it hits 12.

tylernt: It looks like a traditional quartz clock movement can be reversed if you reverse the polarity of the electromagnet coil. So, an H-bridge "should" (in theory) be able to reverse a standard clock mechanism if you really want to go backwards. Or even just connecting the coil to two ATtiny I/O pins and pulsing one high and the other low for one direction, and the opposite to go backwards.

Interesting idea. Give a reference to that?

Paul__B: Interesting idea. Give a reference to that?

Oops I double-checked my reference and it seems I was mistaken. I thought they reversed it electrically, but they reversed it physically.

However, this page:

https://www.nde-ed.org/EducationResources/HighSchool/Magnetism/currentflow.htm

says that when you reverse the direction of the current, the poles are flipped. So it may work to reverse the polarity electrically on a quartz clock, but this is pure conjecture on my part.