want to use azimuth with adruino

hello
I want to connect an antenna to the Arduino so it will tell in which azimuth it in .
that way i will see what is the azimuth of the antenna an know where it direct to and if I need to move it
I just need to know which part I need to use so if someone can help\guide ?
is that part will do the job - Triple Axis Magnetometer Breakout - MAG3110 - SEN-10619 - SparkFun Electronics
or this - SparkFun Tri-Axis Gyro Breakout - L3G4200D - SEN-10612 - SparkFun Electronics

Thanks ,

Azimuth is compas direction so just about any two or three-axis magnetometer will work.

Looks like the least expensive alternatives are:
Triple Axis Magnetometer Breakout - HMC5883L; SEN-10530; $14.95
Triple Axis Magnetometer Breakout - MAG3110; SEN-10619; $14.95

O.K.- thanks , I have 3 more questions :

1. what is the main different between them? have the same price and both of them are I2C ?
  2. from what I understand , the device is "reading" the magnetic of the earth , - but what is the raw output ?
  3. if all will work - what I want to do is to display the azimuth on the serial (and after it on a LCD) so it will show me just number 0-359 , it can be done right?

Thanks ,

How are you rotating the antenna and where is it?

Pete

1. What is the main different between them? have the same price and both of them are I2C ?

The MAG3110 has an INT (Interrupt) output. This is usually used to prepare a system for impact when a free-fall is sensed (all three axes near 0G).

1. from what I understand , the device is "reading" the magnetic of the earth , - but what is the raw output ?

It reads magnetic fields. Could be the earth's magnetic field but also any large piece of metal. The raw output is the magnitude of the magnetic field in three directions.

1. if all will work - what I want to do is to display the azimuth on the serial (and after it on a LCD) so it will show me just number 0-359 , it can be done right?

Yes. Given the magnetic field in three directions and assuming little interference from nearby magnets, you can calculate the direction of Magnetic North. A Google search should help with finding those calculations.

Thanks you for the help and the explain!

I will start working on one of them and ask here for more information about the code

just one more thing
after all will work - can I use a simple 7 segment display to see the number?
something like this - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11442

Thanks again ,

david1234:
just one more thing
after all will work - can I use a simple 7 segment display to see the number?
something like this - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11442

Yes.

Thanks !