Wanting to build a motorbike instrument cluster.

Hi everyone. I'm wanting to build an instrument cluster for a dirt bike. I'm wanting to add a bluetooth module to this. And then use a phone as the display. I could use the phones inbuilt gps to get the speed of the bike and distance travelled.

I'm also wanting this to automatically turn on when the bike starts. I was thinking that I would use a coil around the spark plug lead to detect weather the bike was running or not. I could also use this to work out the engines rpm.

The bike I'm building it on is a yz125, so there is no battery to hook into. So ill need something that has a very low power state while asleep. But can wake once it detects a pulse from the coil around the spark wire.

There will, also be a few other things added such as temp sensors. Obviousley this is a big project for me. So ill be taking it in little steps.

How could I detect the engines spark using low current, This part would just need to turn on the rest of the electronics once it's detected that the engine is running.

How could I read the pulses from the coil around the spark lead, and detect this with an arduino?

How easy is it to design a working app (android) to display graphics for a speedo and communicate with the arduino on the bike via bluetooth?

Im not a complete noob to aduino. But by no means a expert. DO you think what I've said is possible and how would I go about it. Thanks

Having build a dash/DAQ for a four wheeler (monitoring 3 temps, wheel speed, and engine rpm) this is what i used for a rpm sensor

As far as sensing when to turn it on/off automatically, leaving it on all the time to pick up the engine starting would kill any battery you had on it. I would look into possibly using the kill switch some how maybe?

As far as programming goes, work it all out piece wise printing out to an lcd or over serial. once all the pieces are working, you can then blend them into one program still printing to lcd or serial. Then i would go for your bluetooth printing if still desired.

Hi,

I’m wanting to build an instrument cluster for a dirt bike. I’m wanting to add a bluetooth module to this. And then use a phone as the display. I could use the phones inbuilt gps to get the speed of the bike and distance travelled.

Dirt bike and mobile phone together, weird combination, I know phones are rugged but…
From what I’ve seen dirt bikes have a habit of wanting to stop rapidly against the earth.

I can understand the phone in the zip pocket of the riders jacket data logging, but not a part of the bike, vibration, dirt etc.

Tom… :slight_smile: