Wants to buy, but ... is it that easy to use?

Hi,

I’m looking into buying my first original Arduino (not chinese clone) and I’m interested in YÚN. Easily enough, it is because it has LAN, WiFi and “Uno” together for a great price (I think).

But I have some questions before buying it (yes/no short answers, no need to write more):

1. Can Linux side be used as WiFi <-> LAN router (it should)?
  2. Can I have sketch like measuring temperature/reading analog voltage/whatever and output it’s info through Linux side (ie.) as replies to HTTP/SNMP requests?
  3. If previous is “yes” - is it easy enough so that your mother can do it? Is it that easy like using Serial functions?
  4. What I/O pins are used by communcation between Linux and ATmega?

Thanks in advance for replies

Pavouk106:
I’m looking into buying my first original Arduino (not chinese clone) and I’m interested in YÚN. Easily enough, it is because it has LAN, WiFi and “Uno” together for a great price (I think).

Actually the AVR side is not like an UNO but like a Leonardo

Pavouk106:

1. Can Linux side be used as WiFi <-> LAN router (it should)?

Yes, it runs Linino which is OpenWrt with some additions, OpenWrt network setups are cryptic to me but it is definitely very powerful as a router system.

Pavouk106:
2. Can I have sketch like measuring temperature/reading analog voltage/whatever and output it’s info through Linux side (ie.) as replies to HTTP/SNMP requests?

Yes, the bridge library(AVR)/bridge python script(Linino) is one of the additions and allows communication between the two systems.

Pavouk106:
3. If previous is “yes” - is it easy enough so that your mother can do it? Is it that easy like using Serial functions?

No, my mother definitely couldn’t do it, maybe yours could. Take a look at some of the examples, you can download the IDE and look at all the code without any hardware.

Pavouk106:
4. What I/O pins are used by communcation between Linux and ATmega?

They talk over a serial connection at 250,000 baud. Serial1 (Pins 1 & 2) on the AVR, /dev/ttyATH0 on Linino.

Don’t forget that you have a USB device connection to the AVR, and a USB host on the Linino side, this thing has more connections that I have stuff to plug into!

Yeah, I like the idea. In my eyes it looks like standard OpenWRT router (1x LAN, 1x WiFi, USB Host) and Arduino together. MicroSD looks like it is accessible only (?) from Linino, but who cares... :-)

... but like a Leonardo -> Isn't Leonardo (from AVR-not-knower point of view) just ATmega328 in SMD version? I know it actually isn't, but in my point of view, it looks like it is :-)

I haven't used pins 1&2 in any sketch so far, so I should be ok.

I will look into it a little more, good idea with reading examples.

Many thanks

Check out the Leonardo getting started page it details the differences to other arduinos, mainly the USB and less I/O.

I love my Yun but I am working on duplicating the functionally on a router/due or router/mega setup. The part you can't get is size, for the capability it is tiny.

noblepepper:

Pavouk106: 3. If previous is "yes" - is it easy enough so that your mother can do it? Is it that easy like using Serial functions?

No, my mother definitely couldn't do it, maybe yours could. Take a look at some of the examples, you can download the IDE and look at all the code without any hardware.

HTTP is built-in and there are a couple of examples in the IDE. SNMP is not built-in and you'll have to write your own code