Warning Messages from Libraries

The current IDE is doing a much better job of parsing the code in terms of issuing warnings. However, standard libraries (e.g. those distributed with the IDE, like EEPROM) and contributed libraries now issue warnings where they didn't used to. Like everyone else, I'd prefer a clean compile. The warnings are specific enough that I can go in and edit the library files and remove the warnings, but that puts me out of sync with the rest of the world.

My question is: Should we fix the libraries ourselves or should we expect the author of the library to fix them. I realize what the spirit of Open Source is, but I'm not sure what the correct route is to a clean compile.

I agree it's very annoying. I write my code so there is no warnings but then I still have warnings because other people don't hold their work to the same standards.

We have been promised an immediate fix for the EEPROM library warnings for the last 1.5 years:

At this point I think it's safe to say that's not going to happen and someone else needs to submit a pull request to make this happen. I'm sure we would be all very grateful and it would be nice to get that issue report closed. In the end it will be less work to fix the problem upstream because otherwise you will need to redo the fixes every time you update to a new version of the Arduino IDE/Arduino AVR Boards.