Warning, read the fine print before buying a Duemi

:'(I think I've just been hosed. I've been watching with great interest the ongoing development of this project and decided I'd jump in an get my feet wet. So I ordered a Duemilanove. It arrived today and I downloaded the software and started following the instructions. I wish someone would have warned me it won't work on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. I've now got a nice pretty board with a green light.

Oh well, guess it goes in the junk box with the 68xxxxxx boards. I refuse to leave an LTS system again. I made that mistake and it cost me hours to recover. My only hope is someone will backport a newer compiler some day.

This is a warning to anyone considering using this part on a Linux system, be sure you know the consequences.

Jim.

Here is a link to another thread where someone says they have the IDE working with Hardy. I don't think there is any reason why you shouldn't be able to make it work.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1221242192

The problem seems to be that the avr-gcc that is available for Hardy doesn't support the new chips.

See :

for users with ATmega 328 boards!! In general, people running stable systems like e.g. Hardy Heron (Ubuntu) or Etch (Debian) and previous will NOT be able of compiling code for the 328 unless they update their AVR-GCC to 4.3 or later.

That's it in a nut shell. There's no backport for the 4.3.x compiler either.

Thanks, Jim.

Er, I don't get it.

If you're going to fiddle with Linux and cross-compilers, you should probably be able to work out a simple shell script that wraps the Arduino IDE and provides environment variable settings to aim at a different build of avr-gcc than the rest of the packages available on your system.

Being defeatist, saying things like throwing the board in the junk box, and refusing to customize a system that's built for customization... maybe you should look at another platform. Or, I dunno, give it five minutes of effort.

I know this may be overkill, but if you want to stick to 8.04 LTS how about VirtualBox ? There is a .deb package for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS available for download. So you can keep your beloved system and run the Arduino IDE in a virtual machine. That way you can also easily test new releases for stability and all your other needs. Maybe even run windoze :-) Sometimes I do that, as the current avr-gcc 4.3.3 that comes with openSUSE 11.0 doesn't like NewSoftSerial-V7 at all. Although the windoze version comes with winavr 4.3.2 !

Windoze in a VM runs pretty zippy on up to date cpus. And there's snapshots.

Use the source Luke!

Compiling from source the latest versions of gcc, binutils, and libc and installing to /usr/local worked great for me on my Debian Etch system. (Once I figured out that that's what I had to do).

I think madworm's right - virtualbox is definitely the easiest way round it.

I looked into the same problem as I had eeebuntu 8.04 installed on my eeepc and really didn't want the hassle of upgrading distro. Theres people online who have virtualbox work out of the box - no fiddling required.

I ended up going down the route of upgrading in the end, mainly because eeebuntu 8.10 is better customized for eee's now so it promised to be easier this time ( and it was ).

I also think its worth mentioning that I fell into this trap of not knowing the prerequisites for the newer boards/IDEs is it maybe something that could be added to the Linux tutorial?

I’ll admit I was a bit harsh, but I had such high hopes for this thing. The major draw was Linux support. First, it’s not that I’m in love with the LTS but I’ll be programming this thing in the field. That means I have to use my laptop. Since the laptop is critical in my business, I can’t very well start installing newer distros without the possibility of inducting errors with respect to other critical systems on the laptop. It doesn’t make sense to jeopardize a critical system in order to use a $30 board.

I’ve attempted to build a cross compiler in the past. Needless to say it was an exercise in frustration. Does it really make sense to spend many hours at that activity to use a $30 board? I have an ARMmite board that works just fine on Linux right out of the box for $49. While it’s not as capable as the Duemilanove, it will do what I need for now.

I just wanted to play with a very interesting board.

To those who suggest windows VM. At the price M$ wants for their OS? No thanks. If I had a another use for windows, maybe. I noticed someone mentioned virtualbox with 8.04… Why would a virtualbox running 8.04 be better than my native 8.04.

So I do see that OpenVZ has a 8.10 template. I may give that a shot.

Thanks,
Jim.

Well, Im running Gutsy 7.10 still on my laptop as I havnt got round to upgrading to the latest version of Ubuntu. So Im using virtualbox with 8.10 and using the 328 without any problem. You just need a distribution with the later avr-gcc for it to work.

Download the full version with usb support from there website. If you use the repository version it is restricted.

Gordon

I've not tried it, but http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=72619 has instructions on building AVR GCC 4.3.3 for Ubuntu 8.04.

To those who suggest windows VM. At the price M$ wants for their OS? No thanks. If I had a another use for windows, maybe. I noticed someone mentioned virtualbox with 8.04.. Why would a virtualbox running 8.04 be better than my native 8.04.

I wasn't suggesting to buy the other OS! A lot of people just have is sitting somewhere, so they might as well use it if need be. And I also wasn't suggesting to run 8.04 withing VB on 8.04 either. I was suggesting to install VB on your current 8.04 system (with afore mentioned .deb package) and then install a cutting-edge version of "whatever you like" in a VM so you get the latest avr-gcc compiler.