Water flow system [SOLVED]

I put ultrasonic sensor in the second water tank, connect it to Arduino with a display and everything work great. to read how much I have in my tanks.

My problem is sometimes there is sand inside pipes and that's make "water float valve inside the tank" not work, it's make me check the valve twice every day to be sure it's not blocked.

At first I put ultrasonic sensor inside the main tank, but that's make other problems with reading "waves at water surface" "water drops on the sensor" at the same time that make me know if the water comes from the water company or not, by reading the small changes in the water surface.

Anyway I moved the sensor to the second tank to have better reading "how much I have in my tanks"

Anyone have any idea to know if the water come or not! and if the valve blocked!!
NOTE: It's not legal to add anything to the pipes

a device called a strainer is typically used to catch any sediment or debris.

there is a strainer inside the float valve big one, that's what I check everyday, sometimes weeks without any problems, other times I must check it everyday "too much sand"

narzan:
Anyone have any idea to know if the water come or not! and if the valve blocked!!

Do you want to know:

1. are the tanks full?
  2. are the tanks empty?
  3. how much water
    a. entered the tanks?
    b. left the tanks?
  4. is the 'float valve' stuck
    a. open, (tanks will overflow)
    b. closed, (tanks will empty)

Here is a device you might be interested in Water Level meter

Chuck.

Check out my Kickstarter Project Memory Panes an expansion RAM Shield for Mega2560's. It adds 1MB of RAM for those projects where 8KB is not enough.

Thanks @chucktodd actually my Arduino do the same things but with ultrasonic sensor, I think I will use microphone inside the first tank to read if there is any noise inside. I hope that will solve a small problem, but if there is anything blocked the pipe hmm I don't know still not find anything for that :confused:

if the water is under constant pressure from the water company then you will find a pressure sensor in the bottom of the tank is more accurate than a ultrasonic sensor. Water pressure is directly related to water height.

Now if the water company is turning the supply on and off during the day so any time the valve plugs you are missing filling the tank on that cycle then i can not think of a answer unless you can work out when they have turned the water on. (neighbors tank?)

narzan:

not sure what part of the world you are in, but in most places a licensed plumber is allowed to increase safety, quality or make repairs.

certainly the should not be any laws about adding common plumbing devices.

[ spelling corrected]

@gpop1 I think like what you said by using a pressure sensor before the valve so when the water comes and valve is blocked the pressure will be too high I like this idea.

@dave-in-nj when you rent a building from the government, it's not legal to add anything, "it's a hotel" and that's from the rent contract

:stuck_out_tongue: I found a simple solution by adding a MIC inside the first tank, when water comes it will make a high noise, and when the valve is closed or half closed the noise will be less, by calculate that noise I can know exactly what happening there :stuck_out_tongue: [Problem solved]
+1 thanks everyone :wink:

gpop1:
if the water is under constant pressure from the water company then you will find a pressure sensor in the bottom of the tank is more accurate than a ultrasonic sensor. Water pressure is directly related to water height.

Now if the water company is turning the supply on and off during the day so any time the valve plugs you are missing filling the tank on that cycle then i can not think of a answer unless you can work out when they have turned the water on. (neighbors tank?)

Water weighs 0.433lbs per foot of head. So if your microphone doesn't work you could use the pressure sensor and be very accurate with how much water you have.

narzan:
@dave-in-nj when you rent a building from the government, it's not legal to add anything, "it's a hotel" and that's from the rent contract

I can understand that in certain parts of the world.
here in the States, the landlord has the responsibility to provide.
if there is sediment in the water, they would have to provide some means to filter it out. a strainer is a very common thing.
if the water had too much salt, or contaminants, they would also be responsible to address that as well. it is a basic right, not an option. Here in the States, it is illegal to NOT provide clean water. so, here, a simple letter to the landlord would get it resolved and the filter/strainer would be installed.
depending on the lease, who maintains that is questionable.
but, since your location and circumstances you do have options for measuring.
water from the ground is typically colder than in the pipes.
running water will make the pipes colder. temperature sensors might detect the flow of water.

if there is sediment in the water, they would have to provide some means to filter it out. a strainer is a very common thing.
if the water had too much salt, or contaminants, they would also be responsible to address that as well. it is a basic right, not an option

lol rights!! what rights mean ?! :fearful: we don't have!
well they don't work like that in the middle east, their job to give you water, what type of water! not their business.
sometimes people here asked me why you are asking about making Ethernet shield or wireless or what ever, just go and buy one, for example Ethernet shield will cost around 70$ raspberry pi around 150$ wireless shield not legal here, atmel chip will cost around 20$ lol nothing make a sense here!

there is no specific time for pump the water, sometimes monday, sometimes 2 weeks without giving you anything.
every home have a filter system, you can find bugs worms, that's normal 8) we don't choose the thug life lol thug life chose us

narzan:
lol rights!! what rights mean ?! :fearful: we don't have!
well they don't work like that in the middle east, their job to give you water, what type of water! not their business.
sometimes people here asked me why you are asking about making Ethernet shield or wireless or what ever, just go and buy one, for example Ethernet shield will cost around 70$ raspberry pi around 150$ wireless shield not legal here, atmel chip will cost around 20$ lol nothing make a sense here!

there is no specific time for pump the water, sometimes monday, sometimes 2 weeks without giving you anything.
every home have a filter system, you can find bugs worms, that's normal 8) we don't choose the thug life lol thug life chose us

Ah, yes, you have every right to ......
drink the water you have, as long as 'they' chose to allow you to do so.

I thought of a de-salination method.
run two pipes from the ocean about 1 mile in-land.
one inlest is filled with the tide and water flows in when the tide rises.
water is piped to greenouses that allow teh water to evaporate
and then cool and collect

most of the sea water would flow out but some would be turned into fresh water with no more energy than is provided by the tides.

the beauty is that once installed, the only maintenace would be to take sediment out of the lines each year.

run two pipes from the ocean about 1 mile in-land.

lol you solve it :roll_eyes: !

Dear Narzan,

You mentioned on your blog that patent protection will cost you thousands of dollars.

This is not always true. You may check out the patent pro bono program of the United States Patent Office as well as member patent attorneys.

There is also a growing inventor support program provided by the Patent Cooperation Treaty Organization for international intellectual property right protection.

It is still work in progress and far from perfect. However, it is good to know it, talk about it, discuss and address questions on local and global levels.

Wishing you good luck!

I can see

narzan:
lol you solve it :roll_eyes: !

no, not me, Nature.
the idea was to use as much natural energy as possible, and to keep the plant away from the coast, and to let mother nature provide the energy for transportation.
some solar panels, pumps and some green houses and drinking water would flow.
it takes lots of land, but little energy.

when I was looking into a patent, I found out that there are 'researchers' who live in the patent office and review every application, copy it, and then use that information to apply for patents in the rest of the world, or any countries that the original applicant did not file for.

years ago, the rights were to the one who discovered the idea. today, it is the one who files first, there is no requirement that they were involved with development.

Like what you said, who subment that first, & don't forget china! they will copycat anything you made, It's a game, but you shucked me about 'who live in the patent office and review every application, copy it' that's nasty!! >:(

anyway patent will not protect your idea at all, for example I can take any patent from USA and work on it here, the law will not protect you in the third world, :smiley: that's something good for us,
and just to know how people work here, year ago i start a small business for cheap ultrasonic device around 30$ and after allot of research I found i can't protect myself too, no law for these things here, you must be evil to protect your idea by yourself and with your muscles read this article

@peterkrause thanks for this information, I asked a lower here for having a patent, actually that law not work at all here, I am not in USA, anyway I am moving to USA soon I will check out that for sure :wink: I have contact with some companies In the United state and to be honest 70% it's lies, they ask you for money at beginning then good bye, and your idea will be for them, why you need a patent anyway, use kickstarter :slight_smile: make your own money by yourself