Water level detector with SMS notifier

Hi all!

I'm a total newbie with Arduino, so please bear with me. I'm planning to make a project which is a water level detector with SMS notifier.

So, here's what I'm thinking. I have a PING))) ultrasonic sensor which measures the water level. Once the water level is almost at critical point, an SMS will be sent to several recipients.

I was able to make the ultrasonic sensor work but I'm having problems implementing the SMS notification. I haven't tried programming the GSM shield yet though I found several websites on how to do so. Guess my problem now is how I can make the Ultrasonic and GSM shield work with the Arduino UNO. It's more of a programming problem.

Can anyone give me a good website as reference? Or has someone worked with a project similar to this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joy :slight_smile:

I don't understand what you're asking for. You have the ping function working and say you have found websites explaining how to handle the SMS side, but you're asking us to recommend more websites. It seems to me that you have the information you need to get started and just need to divide the problem up into simple parts and tackle them one by one. If that's not the case, then what is it you're asking for that the websites you already have don't provide?

Sorry. My question was very confusing. What I'm trying to say is how I can make multiple shields (GSM and datalogger) work along side with the UNO. The other websites focused only on one shield. I'm trying to make both communicate with the UNO properly. It's really more of a programming question but thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

By convention each shield passes all pins straight through and also connects to whichever pins it needs to use. You would need to ensure that you didn't have multiple shields trying to use the same pins for different purposes. As long as you achieve that, installing an additional shield shouldn't have any impact on the operation of the other shields. However, achieving it (and knowing that you've achieved it) may involve digging into the data sheets for each shield and choosing your shields carefully so that you end up with a combination that doesn't conflict with each other.