Water Level Sensing

I'm trying to make/find a water level sensor for a rain barrel. Rain barrels hold about 55 gallons, and I'd like it to give digital feedback. Ideally it would be inexpensive or DIY. Thanks so much!

What resolution, accurazy do You need?

How often do you want to be told of the water level? Do you care what the actual level is? What will you do if it is empty or if it is full? How do you want to be told the level?

Paul

If you want to know any and all levels, use 3 each 100kg/200lb load cells with hx711 amplifiers and weigh the thing. 8.34 pounds per gallon. Load cells can be had for less than $10 each and the amps are a few dollars each.

If you want 2,3,4 or more specific levels, use the coresponding number of float switches ($2 ea).

Depending on your sensors, maybe a lcd display (16x2) driven by an Uno or Nano.

Sorry for the lack of info. It doesn’t need to be particularly accurate but 5+ levels would be ideal. It should communicate the data back to an Arduino Uno. I appreciate the float switch idea which I’ve used in the past, but having to set up at a minimum 5 of them (especially inside a rain barrel) is kind of a pain if there’s a better alternative.

55 gallons looks like a weigth of 200 kilograms being in the range of 400 lbs. Use weigth sencors, 4 or 3 if You can, handling 100 or 140 lbs each. Dry and safe...

Jibby: Sorry for the lack of info. It doesn’t need to be particularly accurate but 5+ levels would be ideal. It should communicate the data back to an Arduino Uno. I appreciate the float switch idea which I’ve used in the past, but having to set up at a minimum 5 of them (especially inside a rain barrel) is kind of a pain if there’s a better alternative.

Then your rain barrels are not connected in parallel so you need to not only measure each one individually, but know which one your display is showing the level for.

Paul

JSN-SR04T Water Proof Integrated Distance Measuring Transducer Sensor for Arduino

ultraSonic

There are lots of examples.
the newping library does the trick.

use an ESP8266 in deep sleep and only test once a day.
if you prefer, use an RF transmitter.
depending on how often you take readings

As I understand the board 2.0 has issues.
check with newping if they have resolved them.

dave-in-nj: JSN-SR04T Water Proof Integrated Distance Measuring Transducer Sensor for Arduino

As I understand the board 2.0 has issues. check with newping if they have resolved them.

I had the same requirement and had issues with board 2.0 too so I ended up using this waterproof ultrasonic sensor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253978673298

It has 2 transducers as compared to JSN SR04T therefore has lesser minimum distance of around 3-5cm instead of 20cm like the JSN SR04T has. It is also completely sealed and therefore fully waterproof.