Water level sensor in tank

Hello guys, im looking for the best sensor to calculate water level continuously and if possible to send it via Bluetooth to an arduino chipset around 10 meters away, tank is 2.5 meters depth. Thanks for helping

And the tank is made of? And you have access to / no access to the water?

There are two versions of the JSN-SR04T. one is connected with wires, the other has the sensor on the circuit board.

these metal case units require much more power than the open sensor type, bur the metal case protects from the elements.

the newping library works well with them.

Grumpy_Mike: And the tank is made of? And you have access to / no access to the water?

Thank you for your reply, tank is made of plated iron, but can you explain what is the difference between having for example a tank made of iron or a tank made up of plastic? I have access to the water.

dave-in-nj: There are two versions of the JSN-SR04T. one is connected with wires, the other has the sensor on the circuit board.

these metal case units require much more power than the open sensor type, bur the metal case protects from the elements.

the newping library works well with them.

Thank you for your reply, is there a way to run this sensor (JSN-SR04T) on battery?, because most likely the arduino chip set wont be anywhere near the tank.

ArefQarqash: Thank you for your reply, tank is made of plated iron, but can you explain what is the difference between having for example a tank made of iron or a tank made up of plastic? I have access to the water.

If the tank is made of plastic then you can use a capacitive sensor on the outside of the tank. If it is made of metal then you can't.

As you can get at the water then you have a choice of being able to dip a level sensor into it, or bounce ultrasonic waves off the surface and using the delay to work out the level of fill of the tank.

Have you seen this sensor https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10221 While it is only 8" long you could arrange a few at various depths so there will always be at least one not fully covered thus allowing you to measure the depth.

Note you will need a processor of some sorts at the sensor end because you can't just feed a sensor into a Bluetooth module. So an Arduino at each end is one possibility.

The pressure at the bottom of the tank, or in the outlet pipe (if water is not flowing) is proportional to the water level, so a pressure sensor can be used.

Grumpy_Mike: If the tank is made of plastic then you can use a capacitive sensor on the outside of the tank. If it is made of metal then you can't.

As you can get at the water then you have a choice of being able to dip a level sensor into it, or bounce ultrasonic waves off the surface and using the delay to work out the level of fill of the tank.

Have you seen this sensor https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10221 While it is only 8" long you could arrange a few at various depths so there will always be at least one not fully covered thus allowing you to measure the depth.

Note you will need a processor of some sorts at the sensor end because you can't just feed a sensor into a Bluetooth module. So an Arduino at each end is one possibility.

Nice idea, but to be honest it could cost too much that i cant afford, i have been reading about Ultrasonic distance sensors what do you think about them, are they good for measuring such tanks?

Ultrasonic sensors work fine, but must be mounted inside the tank, and they will corrode in moist air.

Could you use a sensitive pressure tranducer connected to the outlet pipe?

regards

Allan.

Ok i like the pressure sensor idea, but find it difficult to connect the sensor to an arduino chip set out of the tank since the tank has only 1 way out, which is the lid.

You can use a submersible pressure sensor, and feed the wire in from the top. Unfortunately they are expensive.

If you drilled a little hole near the bottom of the tank you could use eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-PSI-Liquid-Water-Gas-Oil-Fuel-Air-Pressure-Sensor-Transducer-NPT1-8-Mounted-/272217040130?hash=item3f61666502:g:UHoAAOSw6WdXidp0

regards

Allan.

Ok guys after thinking about the choices i have i found that the best idea is to put an Ultrasonic sensor attached to the lid, but the problem remains with humidity, so is there any possible way to make the sensor humidity proof?