Waterfall click light project

There were several categories this could have gone under but I figured since this group focuses on LED's, you are probably best equipped to answer.

I am purposely not including details of what I plan on using other than size and type because the conversation could easily end up going 50 different directions and I am only asking for simple replies. I won't get into a long drawn out discussion.

The short of it is that I am building a small encased waterfall with leds above it to illuminate but the leds will not been seen directly. The unit will be about 12" tall and 30" wide +/-. I am using 5mm RGB ca leds. My question is how many leds would you recommend? I have plenty of them and shift registers. I want to keep it simple but have a full look as well.

What do you think? 10, 15, 20, 30 or 60?

I'll tell you the perfect number after you answer this:

How long is a piece of string?

The number of leds depends on desirable luminosity level, ambient lighting , reflectivity of surface / water etc. Try to search on youtube if there is already made similar project, than you can get rough estimation.

fungus: How long is a piece of string?

twice half its length

i would refer to any led strip lighting, which has different specifications... helpfully, but the one im using has 32 leds per metre, and if you put a smoked glass about 4 cm in front of it, you can't define the leds but you can see the pretty colour changes.

And that folks is the reason for my first (and last) post to this forum. You people are nuts. You can't ask a simple question without you taking it in 50 different directions. No wonder people don't stick around here.

A VERY BASIC QUESTION and you can't even answer it. There is 10 minutes of my life you have wasted.

I feel so sorry for you having to complicate everything. What miserable lives you must lead and I mean that with all sincerity.

And another thing. If you are so dumb that you can't answer a question without all of the data, don't bother answering. You aren't doing yourself any favors by being an ass. Do yourself this favor, get out of your rathole, grab a beer and get laid or something. Gee whiz.

I think you are being a bit harsh - you asked a question that, in reality, no one could answer.

What if I had responded and said confidently that you need 10 LED's. You subsequently built your waterfall with 10 LED's. But, because you had the waterfall sitting in a brightly lit area, you could not see the colour from the LED's - would you then complain that I had advised you incorrectly??

Hopefully, you will now realise that you have not provided anywhere near enough information and will respond appropriately.

Cheers

bradlandreth: A VERY BASIC QUESTION and you can't even answer it. There is 10 minutes of my life you have wasted.

...as opposed to you wasting 10 minutes of dozens of other people's lives with a useless question?

and what was wrong with my perfectly adequate answer?

32 leds per metre, convert to your imperial system

oh hold on, let me come round your house, measure it, add the lighting, stand back, realise i need less, reduce the leds, stand back, be happy.

here you go

I particularly liked this part:

I am purposely not including details of what I plan on using other than size and type because the conversation could easily end up going 50 different directions and I am only asking for simple replies. I won’t get into a long drawn out discussion.

kelvinmead: and what was wrong with my perfectly adequate answer?

32 leds per metre, convert to your imperial system

oh hold on, let me come round your house, measure it, add the lighting, stand back, realise i need less, reduce the leds, stand back, be happy.

What if you need more?

it is a known fact if you put more than 32 leds per metre, the world turns inside out.

its like when you google, google and you break the internet.

I'm curious, how did you happen on this bit of infomation ?

it first occurred to me when i placed 33 5mm leds exactly 3cm apart from each other and started soldering...

all the edges started shaking and the colours went wibbly..

..i knew i had to stop.