Wave Shield

I've purchased a wave shield and I'm just waiting for it to arrive now but I still havn't done much with my Arduino yet (just a few tutorials) so my question is about the pins that the wave shield uses.

What pins are used by the shield?

Pins 13, 12, 11 are always used by the SD card (they are the only pins that have a high speed SPI interface). Then there are 5 other pins used to talk to the DAC and SD card, but they can be set to connect to any arduino pin. However, by default, the library is configured to use pins 10 (for SD card) and pins 2, 3, 4 and 5 for the DAC. To chanage these pins requires modifying the library - the pins are referenced by their 'hardware' pin names (ie PORTD, etc) not by arduino pins.

That means pins 6, 7, 8, 9 and the 6 analog in pins (also known as digital i/o pins 14-20) are available

is from the site for the wave shield. When it mentions the pins that its using it doesn't say it uses 0 or 1, however, it doesn't say 0 or 1 are available either.

My plan is to use the shield and connect my GPS module to the board at the same time, which I believe connects through the 0 and 1 pins. I'm confused.

Pins 0 and 1 are not used by the wave shield. If they were, you would not be able to use serial comms for debugging. For that reason, few shields tend to use RX/TX.