Wavecom Q2303A modem

Hi.
Maybe someone here has worked with wavecom modems? I'm trying to get Wavecom Q2303A to work.

The problem is that it is detecting the sim, getting the signalstrength, but not finding any networks. Maybe someone can point to what could be the problem?
Also the LED that indicates the status shows that it is trying to register with network, trying...
Here is some output from terminal:

AT
OK
AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY
AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 26,0//it is enough to have above 10 to be able to register with network, I have 26 here
OK
AT+COPS=?
+CME ERROR: 30//CME ERROR:30 means that there is no network service

What’s the result of

AT+COPS?
AT+COPS?
+COPS: 0,2,23802
OK

AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,2
OK

So got more ideas about this. It is actually trying to connect to the right network, however it never does that. as seen in CREG it returns “not registered, ME currently searching for a new operator to register to.”

Could it be something to do with the mobile operator company?

Ok. So i figured out the problem. It is the IMEI code. Since wavecom come without set IMEI codes (1234567...) it is normally not possible to use them in europe without changing the imei.
So now i am thinking - how to do it? Can i contact the phone operator company and ask them for a valid IMEI? Can they give it? Or is it possible for them to make an exclusion on the phone number? Any experiance that someone might share?

it is normally not possible to use them in europe without changing the imei.

In some European countries it's even illegal to change the IMEI number of a mobile device. A valid GSM product has a unique IMEI number, if your wavecom device doesn't have that I'll return them under warranty and buy a device that fulfills the GSM standard.
Your provider cannot change the device's IMEI number because that's part of the device and should be stored in a way that it cannot be changed.

Nice thing was that it was cheap (~20 pounds) ;(

Maybe you know some good alternatives? Looks like you have some knowledge in the area :slight_smile: Basically i just need SMS support so i don't need anything fancy.

Or maybe it is possible to negotiate with phone operator not to check IMEIs on some certain numbers and allow them to operate. Since it is actually thought as a part of industrial project..?

Maybe you know some good alternatives? Looks like you have some knowledge in the area smiley Basically i just need SMS support so i don’t need anything fancy.

Although I have basic knowledge of the technology used I cannot give you a hardware suggestion, the last time I bought such a device is several years ago. The Arduino GSM shield doesn’t fulfill your requirements?

Or maybe it is possible to negotiate with phone operator not to check IMEIs on some certain numbers and allow them to operate. Since it is actually thought as a part of industrial project…?

You may try that, it depends only on your operator. If you’re a very good customer you may be successful.

It does, but I was hoping to find something cheaper. :slight_smile:

The GSM shield from Itead is quite a bit cheaper: http://imall.iteadstudio.com/im120525010.html.

If that still doesn't fit your needs you have to specify your limits.

Oh. this is pretty good. Thank you :slight_smile: