Way to send serial data from nano to connected esp8266 to esp8266 to connect lcd

I have a nano reading a analog sensor and displaying that value in serial monitor. I would like to wire a esp8266 directly to the nano in order to send the nano’s serial data wirelessly to another esp8266 that has a lcd connected in order to display the analog signal on the lcd.

Does anyone happen to know of any guides/tutorials for this or at least anything to get me started?

Here’s a link to the lcd screen I bought in case it makes a difference. Thanks.

Have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable non-blocking ways to receive data. There is also a parse example to illustrate how to extract numbers from the received text.

The technique in the 3rd example will be the most reliable. It is what I use for Arduino to Arduino and Arduino to PC communication.

You can send data in a compatible format with code like this (or the equivalent in any other programming language)

Serial.print('<'); // start marker
Serial.print(value1);
Serial.print(','); // comma separator
Serial.print(value2);
Serial.println('>'); // end marker

If you just want to send data wirelessly from one ESP8266 to another and if you are not already familiar with web programming the ESP NOW feature may prove simpler than using WiFi

…R

Robin2:
Have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable non-blocking ways to receive data. There is also a parse example to illustrate how to extract numbers from the received text.

The technique in the 3rd example will be the most reliable. It is what I use for Arduino to Arduino and Arduino to PC communication.

You can send data in a compatible format with code like this (or the equivalent in any other programming language)

Serial.print('<'); // start marker

Serial.print(value1);
Serial.print(’,’); // comma separator
Serial.print(value2);
Serial.println(’>’); // end marker

If you just want to send data wirelessly from one ESP8266 to another and if you are **not** already familiar with web programming the [ESP NOW](http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=551310.0) feature may prove simpler than using WiFi

...R

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

You can use SerialTransfer.h to automatically packetize and parse your data for inter-Arduino communication without the headace. The library is installable through the Arduino IDE and includes many examples.

Here are the library’s features:

This library:

• can be downloaded via the Arduino IDE’s Libraries Manager (search “SerialTransfer.h”)
  • works with “software-serial” libraries
  • is non blocking
  • uses packet delimiters
  • uses consistent overhead byte stuffing
  • uses CRC-8 (Polynomial 0x9B with lookup table)
  • allows the use of dynamically sized packets (packets can have payload lengths anywhere from 1 to 254 bytes)
  • can transfer bytes, ints, floats, and even structs!!

Example TX Arduino Sketch:

#include "SerialTransfer.h"

SerialTransfer myTransfer;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial1.begin(115200);
  myTransfer.begin(Serial1);
}

void loop()
{
  char buff[] = "hi";

myTransfer.txObj(buff, sizeof(buff));
  myTransfer.sendData(sizeof(buff));
  delay(100);
}

Example RX Arduino Sketch:

#include "SerialTransfer.h"

SerialTransfer myTransfer;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial1.begin(115200);
  myTransfer.begin(Serial1);
}

void loop()
{
  if(myTransfer.available())
  {
    char buff[40];

myTransfer.rxObj(buff, sizeof(buff));

Serial.println("New Data: ");
    Serial.write(buff, sizeof(buff));
    Serial.println();
  }
  else if(myTransfer.status < 0)
  {
    Serial.print("ERROR: ");

if(myTransfer.status == -1)
      Serial.println(F("CRC_ERROR"));
    else if(myTransfer.status == -2)
      Serial.println(F("PAYLOAD_ERROR"));
    else if(myTransfer.status == -3)
      Serial.println(F("STOP_BYTE_ERROR"));
  }
}

For theory behind robust serial communication, check out the tutorials Serial Input Basics and Serial Input Advanced.