Ways to press down flexible tubing

Hey everyone!

I am tinkering around with fluid movement system and I am wondering about ways to press down flexible tubing.

I want to keep the liquid that is flowing through decontaminated and I want to have some sort of mechanism that pushes down on the tubing (very flexible, peristaltic tubing).

I have already tried using a push type solenoid valve to do this, but it is not strong enough, and it gets way too hot if I keep it actuated for a long time.

Any suggestions?

Pushes it down ? To flatten the tube and to stop the liquid ?
I think you need a motor with a gear.
Would it be possible to use peristaltic pump ? That would be a normal solution. Pressing the tube flat is rather uncommon.

An eccentric, driven by a motor with a gear?

You probably could make some type of pinch setup using a servo.

Search for a "solenoid pinch valve".

Co-incidentally, I was just looking at this one... http://www.mcmaster.com/#5431t111

I would try a servo. You could easily attach a small roller to a servo arm.

...R

In terms of the servo suggestion, would it have enough torque to push down? I know for peristaltic pump motors, the torque has to be pretty beefy to press to the tubing enough to stop flow.

That solenoid pinch valve on McMaster looks pretty good, does it still have an issue with heat dissipation though?

TeekiTorch:
In terms of the servo suggestion, would it have enough torque to push down?

Buy one and experiment. They are not expensive. Most of them specify their torque.

...R