Ways to remotly control ardunio via phone (bluetooth or network)

Hi,

I have been building some LED lights for my shelving, desk lights.
I was thinking i could use the ESP32 module i have to control all the lights and the Camaras but what i would like it so use my phone to turn them on and off, change colour and view the video.

I am no andriod developer so my thoughts where

1. I could use https://io.adafruit.com/ along with the Android app to have a IoT solution, however this means i need external internet which might not be ideal if internet is down i cant turn on lights.

2. I could use a web interface on the ardunio and simple connect to this on the phones web browser. This does mean i need to have wireless working and i not sure how good an interface i can code on an ardunio. Idealy i want a colour picker and brightness slider for each light and ability to pick some effects.

3. I could use bluetooth and the ESP32 has this built in but I not sure what is the best app for this. I dont want to have to write an android app from scratch.

4. other ways.

I am fine for coding the light control and I have already played with Io.adafruit.com for other projets such as monitoring fish tank temps and turning lights on and off.

So can any one help with a "simple" method to use my phone as the controler over either network (wireless) or bluetooth? Or does any one have a suggest for a good android app that would allow me to create my own dashboard.

So any sugestions on aproaches. Part of me like the idea of an IoT aproach with all the automation I could build, and i could over come the issues of an internet outage by having a manual on off switch. But thought it worth considering what other aproaches I could take.

Thank you

One consideration is range. With Bluetooth you may need to be in the same room, while with WiFi you could be anywhere in the house.

I use Serial Bluetooth Terminal 1.33 for Android on my phone. You can assign function buttons to text macros to send. Those can be decoded as commands on the Arduino end.

+1 for Serial Bluetooth Terminal. It is what I use, too.

Sounds like reinventing the wheel, but if you want to do it the hard way to learn Arduino programming, go for it.

I have 65 devices on my WiFi router, many of them are lights, switches or sensors. I control all of them using a web server in Home Assistant (free) and communicate using MQTT messages over WiFi. ALso, I can control any connected light from Alexa as well.

SteveMann:
Sounds like reinventing the wheel, but if you want to do it the hard way to learn Arduino programming, go for it.

I have 65 devices on my WiFi router, many of them are lights, switches or sensors. I control all of them using a web server in Home Assistant (free) and communicate using MQTT messages over WiFi. ALso, I can control any connected light from Alexa as well.

Trouble with this is it requires the server to be up, I use smart home devices and MQTT for various monitoring tasks. If i was going to do this I can just use Adafruit-IO rather than set up a second MQTT slution.