wear measurment.

hey all…u guys must hve heard of conveyor belts…it is used to transmit bulk materials from one place to another…for example it is used in airports…also used in various plants…anywayz my task is that conveyor belts are attached to scrapers…at the bottom…scraper is used to support the conveyor belts…eventually with time the top surface of the scraper gets weared out…because its being constantly being rubbed the conveyor belt…hence it needs to be replaced every now and then…my task is to sense that wear measurement through wireless transmittion…so that in the office…messege can be recieved dat wearing has started…hence its needs to be replaced…RF modules would be good for wireless transmittion…i will be posting the the picture of a scraper…for better clarification…

Any ideas of different ways…it can be linked to arduino of RF modules…would be great…thank you

As long as you can get a reliable number from a sensor, it should be possible to send a message to the office using arduinos, warning you in time. I do understand the need to clean belts and the related wear, but how... do you measure wear currently, do you have some sort of sensor(s) ?

currently its being check manually....one every month or so....there are two ways to go about this..one of them is use of sensors...second one..is actually measuring it mechanically...the main idea of how we can go about this is regarding movement of the scraper..as you see in diagram...the belt movies in opposite direction..on top of scraper..so scraper is constantly vibrating..once wearing starts to take place.it will displace to some delta x..distance...

If u look at diagram....u will a torsion bar..which has been left open..the other side is closed...i ve done it intentionally to show whats inside it...in real life it would be covered as well..but any how..dat torsion bar is fixed at one side..and is rotating left and right..say around 40degres left and right...constantly....so one idea wat i thought was dat we can hvae gyros sensors...over there..which wil measure movement..and record it and transmit it...once wearing starts to take place at the top of scraper...there would be some in angle of movement...of torsion bar..and dats how in monitor we can sense that wearing has started...

any ideas from your side..would be really helpful..thanks...

i meant once wearing takes place…there would be some change of angle in torsion bar…as compared to what it was…so with gyros…we can sense that…