Wearable motion music controllers

Hi all, this is my first post in the Arduino forums.
I'm a university student studying computer science and would like guidance on a semester project.
I'm reasonably good at programming and can learn from documentation, but have minimal experience with Arduino in general.

I want to create 2 to 4 identical wearable motion sensors. My requirements are:

• Small and lightweight, so that it is suitable for dancing if attached to a costume or strapped around the wrist

• Can measure and log speed, velocity, acceleration, orientation

• Real-time, wireless sensor output to a music synthesizer, either within Arduino or an external program on a computer

• Doesn't have to be instantaneous, a few seconds of delay is fine. Of course lower is better

• I'm willing to learn how to build a simple synthesizer from scratch

• Optional: distance measurement between two sensors. I'm aware of the difficulties, but am wondering if it would be possible for the following use case:

• Measures a range of 0 feet (right next to each other) to 2 or 3 feet

• Accuracy of about 1/2 or 1/4 foot, exact distance not required

• Real-time but not instantaneous, a few seconds of delay is fine

Essentially I want to build wearable motion music controllers (not necessarily MIDI controllers). I've attached a rough drawing for further clarity.

Questions:

• Would the Arduino Nano 33 BLE Sense Nano board be a good fit for this project? If so what is a good battery to use?
  • Should I use bluetooth or the NRF24L01 transceiver module? If I use NRF, does it require additional soldering or wiring?
  • Is there a way to "pipe" sensor outputs into an external music synthesizer, without converting to MIDI?
  • Is this possible to build and program within 1 month (not including learning time)?
  • Are there any other factors I haven't considered for this project?

Thank you for your help. I'm happy to read up on relevants links to existing projects or forum posts. Please let me know if you need more details.

bookbox7:

• Measures a range of 0 feet (right next to each other) to 2 or 3 feet
  • Accuracy of about 1/2 or 1/4 foot, exact distance not required
  • Real-time but not instantaneous, a few seconds of delay is fine

Yes, you use a standard tape measure with spring recoil, and use an optical quadrature sensor to count the markings as they pass by.

This is I gather, how digital calipers work.

Paul__B:
Yes, you use a standard tape measure with spring recoil, and use an optical quadrature sensor to count the markings as they pass by.

This is I gather, how digital calipers work.

Hi, the primary purpose of this project is not distance measurement. That is just icing on the cake as that's simply an extra sensor output I can play with.
I am more interested in whether the choice of hardware I have selected will be suitable for wearable motion controllers. There cannot be any physical connections between the controllers. Whatever sensor values they measure should be wirelessly relayed to a computer so they can be somehow converted or fed into a music synthesizer program.

If someone could let know if I've chosen the right hardware for this project, that would be great. I do not want to spend money only to find out that the choice of board and components will not work for the project's requirements.