Web controlled actuator

Hello, I have recently used the nodeMCU in my LAN in my home to tinker and learn some of the basics.

My question is simple. What is the easiest way to control from [u]outside my home[/u] network on a webpage to activate a physical actuator in my home that is strong enough to press a button? ( doesn't necessarily need to be nodeMCU).

On my LAN, I am able to control my nodeMCU to send a high output to a digital pin that activates a transistor that controls a motor. So basically I want the most straightforward way to control maybe a servo from [u]outside my network[/u] on a webpage. I also understand that i might either need to set up port forwarding or open up ports on my router. .

Listen on a HTTP port and connect using the public IP address on your router. This will work OK at the beginning, but within a few minutes hackers will find the open port and start flooding it with malicious packets.

The sensible option is to use a VPN or hide the Arduino behind a HTTPS password protected firewall.

mikb55: Listen on a HTTP port and connect using the public IP address on your router. This will work OK at the beginning, but within a few minutes hackers will find the open port and start flooding it with malicious packets.

The sensible option is to use a VPN or hide the Arduino behind a HTTPS password protected firewall.

thanks for response, I know that DynDns makes it so that i don't have to worry about my IP address changing but do you know if it has any features that might protect my open ports?

Hi, Google cayenne home automation

I have been using it with ESP32 to control some LEDS and Servo on a test bench in my home. I can control it and monitor sensors connected to it via the dashboard you will build on myDevices cayenne.

The have a lot of help examples for ESP8266 and I think nodeMCU.

Tom.. :)

Maybe you can use an MQTT server.

mikb55: Listen on a HTTP port and connect using the public IP address on your router. This will work OK at the beginning, but within a few minutes hackers will find the open port and start flooding it with malicious packets.

Becasue we can

dave-in-nj: Becasue we can

will i get hacked if i click on your link?

LOL Youtube is by and large a safe site.