Web controlled relays malfunction when carrying load

I have fitted my arduino with an ethernet shield and 4 single relays, that can control 240v.

I am trying to make a web interface, that will control some 240v devices in my house. I will post the code below.

When testing this with nothing connected to the relays, everything works like a charm. I can press a button in my web browser, an the digital state shifts accordingly.

But whenever I connect something to a relay, the arduino crashes, and the web server stops.
I can even control the other relays flawlessly, but when I choose a relay that is carrying a load - CRASH!

Hope that someone can help me?

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h> 

String commandString = String(30);
byte mac[] = {
  0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
  String portNames[10] = {"","","","","","","Port 6","Port 7","Airport Express","Forstaerker Stuen"};

// Initialize the Ethernet server library
EthernetServer server = EthernetServer(80);

void setup() {
  // Set up the Ports
  for ( int port = 6; port <= 9; port++ ) {
            pinMode(port,OUTPUT);
  }
  // start the Ethernet connection and the server:
  Ethernet.begin(mac);
  server.begin();
}

void loop() {
  // if an incoming client connects, there will be bytes available to read:
  EthernetClient client = server.available();
  if (client) {
          commandString="";
          for ( int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
            char c = client.read();
            if( c != '\n' && c > 0 ) {
              commandString.concat(c);
            }
          }
          turnPortsOnOff();
          delay(100);
          printWebPage(client);
          client.println(commandString);
          client.stop();
        }
}

void printWebPage(EthernetClient client) {
  String color;
  client.println("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");
          client.println("Content-Type: text/html");
          client.println("Connection: close");
          client.println();
          client.println("");
          client.println("Bendts Arduino Netkontakt");
          client.println("");
          client.println("");
          client.println("");
          client.println("</pre><h1>Taend og sluk for ting paa loftet</h1><pre>");
          for ( int port = 6; port <= 9; port++ ) {
            if(!digitalRead(port)) {
              color = "green";
            } else {
              color = "red";
            }
            client.println("
");
            client.print("<a href=\"http://");
            client.print(Ethernet.localIP());
            client.print("/Port");
            client.print(port);
            client.print("\"><button style=\"background-color:");
            client.print(color);
            client.print("\">");
            client.print(portNames[port]);
            client.println("</button></a>");
          }
          client.println("");
}      

void turnPortsOnOff( ) {
          if (commandString.indexOf("Port6") >= 0) {
              digitalWrite( 6, !digitalRead(6));
              delay(100);
          }
          if (commandString.indexOf("Port7") >= 0) {
              digitalWrite( 7, !digitalRead(7));

}
          if (commandString.indexOf("Port8") >= 0) {
              digitalWrite( 8, !digitalRead(8));
              delay(100);
          }
          if (commandString.indexOf("Port9") >= 0) {
              digitalWrite( 9, !digitalRead(9));
              delay(100);
          }
}

The load is not carried in your program, but in your electronic montage ... So let's have a look on it !

Here are two pictures of my setup:

I'm not sure how much is visible in the pictures, so I'll try to describe:
VCC on the relays are all connected to +5v on the arduino
GND on the relays are all connected to GND on the arduino
IN1 on the relays are connected to digital ports 6-9 on the arduino

Most of the 220v outlets are connected to NO on the relay.
I have tried to connect to NC on the first one, but it makes no difference.

You have a problem with some electrical noise in the system, induced by the Relay-board.

How does the underside of the relay-board look ? I have seen some relay-boards with insufficient insulation from the low-voltage to high-voltage side, making for dangerous situations and problems all together.

For example, look at this board - the one of the high-voltage pins is 2-3mm from the pin header to arduino - dangerously close!
http://www.dx.com/p/arduino-5v-relay-module-blue-black-121354#.U0hUTq2Szno

// Per.

...so your advise is: buy a better relay board?

Benno_fra_dk:
...so your advise is: buy a better relay board?

Only if the relay-boards is flawed. If they are not made like that, and dangerous, i thing the noise is entering by the air.

Also, try plugging the power supply for the Arduino in another outlet, or supply the Arduino with power from your USB-cable.

What voltage are you powering the Arduino with ? As far as i can see, the wall wart you use is a rather old un-regulated unit, and a spike on the mains line will be carried over to the Arduino easily. As you have wired it, a load on your relays will induce a power drop on the wires supplying the wall wart.

Some things to try out:

1. Set the power supply for 7,5V.
  2. put a load on a relay, a lamp for example, turn the lamp off by it's switch. try turning on the relay - what happens ?
  3. power the arduino from your USB cable plugged into the computer.

// Per.

Please take a look at this video, and watch the signal lights on the arduino:

I am powering the arduino from a different outlet (7,5v) - I think its even on a different phase in the house. It shouldn't do that, should it?

Benno_fra_dk:
Please take a look at this video, and watch the signal lights on the arduino:
Dropbox - Error

I am powering the arduino from a different outlet (7,5v) - I think its even on a different phase in the house. It shouldn't do that, should it?

I would suspect your relay boards. Can you remove one and photograph the board in detail - good sharp pictures of the top and underside of the board.

My best guess is your boards are manufactures wrong, and offer no real isolation.

// Per.

Here we go:

@Zapro - could you recommend a good 8-channel board? (On ebay?)

Benno_fra_dk:
@Zapro - could you recommend a good 8-channel board? (On ebay?)

This one should be OK, haven't heard of any problems with that model:
https://elextra.dk/main.aspx?page=article&artno=H37526

Otherwise i have no personal experience.

// Per.

you are more than likely experiencing electromagnetic interference due to radiated magnetic field emissions or conducted susceptibility issues. What kind of current is flowing through the relays?

in a project i have built, i am using a 8 channel relay (not all 8 channels are actually used) and i list where i got it in the first post. i only use 115 VAC, and the entire system only draws around 3 amps. the system has had no issues once i got all of the software glitches fixed. :grin:

the suggestions to use a different source to power the arduino should work, or you can get a "Curtis filter" Line Filters: EMI Filters | RFI Filters | Custom Power Line Filters. these filters will help to filter out any common-mode or differential mode noise that may be on the line. another option to try would be to try separating the relay board from the arduino board.

i do not think you should have to go through all of this as i am sure other people have not had as many issues switching the loads you desire, but it may help.

Benno_fra_dk:
Here we go:
Dropbox - Error
Dropbox - Error

As you can see, the center pin in one end of the relay is the "Hot" pin - it has almost no seperation from the low voltage parts!
http://www.smokeandwires.co.nz/469-thickbox_default/5v-relay-srd-05vdc-sl-c-10a.jpg

For starters, clean the board with mineral spirits (Husholdsningssprit) & an old toothbrush - clean both sides.

Now, connect the cleaned board up to power and Arduino, and place the relay-board on something insulating (a piece of paper etc.)
My best guess is that it works. Try it out and return with your findings.

Anyhow, those relay-boards looks dangerous, with that minimal spacing between "Hot" and lov voltage side.

// Per.

Have you metered the current from the Arduino output to the relay board input ? Also , if you monitor the DC voltage to the input on the relay board to see how stable it remains as relays are switched on and off .
The other thing is the wall wort that you are using , is it rated at 1 amp ? If 500 mA or less it could be insufficient current to drive the relays reliably.
Bob D