Web Server Gateway Interface (WSGI) daemon for serial

I have looked at Bottle and Flask some now, but I am not even sure when to bind the constrained resource (e.g. the serial port) in there framework. So I’m just going to use the core Python WSIG library for now.

My thinking is: I do not want the serial port to open and close with each browser connection. I need to research the WSGI library and make sure it is single threaded so only one connection is accepted at any time. Sounds like that is what Bottle does, but was that on a host with a single MCUCPU core? That may be more of a problem on an R-Pi3 than an R-PiZero.

When the daemon is running on an R-Pi it will be started with RC.LOCAL, and I will have to stop it with something like “sudo kill -TERM WSGIdaemon-pid”.

Any web browser on my local network can then use the daemon as a Cross-Origin shared resource, so I can serve the client page(s) from any server or as a flat file. I am thinking along the lines of using the flat pages to do simple user interfaces for my boards and projects.

I might use Flask, Bottle, or the Apache server to be the server of the flat web pages but the daemon itself can take calls from any sort of program, perhaps a Python program that periodically gathers data through the daemon to pickle, that way I can gather timed data (e.g. soil moisture levels) while still having the web page based controls at hand.

ron_sutherland:
I have looked at Bottle and Flask some now, but I am not even sure when to bind the constrained resource (e.g. the serial port) in there framework.

I don't "bind a serial port in their framework".

I have a single Python program that communicates with an Arduino via serial (like in this Python - Arduino demo) and which also uses Bottle functions to do web stuff.

...R

I have a single Python program that communicates with....

Just to be clear my thinking currently is that the daemon is the single program (running 24/7) connected to serial. So I am calling it bound (or should I find another word) to the serial link. Other programs will communicate with the daemon to get at the serial link (which goes to the microcontroller, actually a multi-drop array of microcontrollers).

ron_sutherland:
Just to be clear my thinking currently is that the daemon is the single program (running 24/7) connected to serial. So I am calling it bound (or should I find another word) to the serial link. Other programs will communicate with the daemon to get at the serial link (which goes to the microcontroller, actually a multi-drop array of microcontrollers).

I'm not sure I understand that. I think it means that some "programs" will contact Python through the web interface (in effect those programs will act as web clients) and Python will pass messages to the Arduino.

If my interpretation is correct then that should work fine. For example that is how my Python program presents a Browser based GUI for controlling my model trains. The browser (client) can be on the PC that runs the server or on my smartphone. Or the client could be a program running on another PC or even on an ESP8266.

I only have a vague notion of what a daemon is - I believe it is just a program that runs all the time.

...R

The idea of a daemon is probably best kept as a vague notion, I sort of think daemons have an uncertainty principle like characteristic where they fall apart or vanish when defined.

I think it means that some "programs" will contact Python through the web interface

Yep, I think many languages can call web interfaces, I recall doing that with Visual Basic (in a distant past) and then trying to deal with XML in the response (ouch).

Python will pass messages to the Arduino

It is just a little more complex, Python needs to look at the query string. So the URL "http://192.168.0.7:8000/?addr=0&cmd=id&q=true" is divided into parts where "?addr=0&cmd=id&q=true" is the query string. The CGI core Python library has some functions to look inside the WSIG environment and fish out the query string elements. I then can use those elements to craft my serial command for the serial port. But ya the messages get passed to an Arduino is probably the best answer.

If my interpretation is correct then that should work fine.

I mostly like where it is going, so I think the next step is to put this on an R-Pi and see if I can spin it up from there.

ron_sutherland:
It is just a little more complex, Python needs to look at the query string. So the URL “http://192.168.0.7:8000/?addr=0&cmd=id&q=true” is divided into parts where “?addr=0&cmd=id&q=true” is the query string. The CGI core Python library has some functions to look inside the WSIG environment and fish out the query string elements.

Bottle has function specifically for that.

This is an extract from an unfinished demo using Bottle

@route('/handleForm', method='GET')
def handleForm():
        firstName = request.query.fname
        return template('<b>Hello {{name}}</b>!', name=firstName)

it picks out the element called fname in the query string.

This is the HTML snippet that produces fname

<form id="form1" action="/handleForm">

Enter text: <input type="text" name="fname" value="FirstName">&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
                <input type="submit" value="Submit">

</form>

In this case the Python program just sends something like Hello Johhny back to the browser. But it could just as easily send it to an Arduino and get a response from the Arduino and pass that to the browser.

…R

The web service is now returning only the JSON, and can be parsed into a proper JS object. It can then be used to fill the DOM elements as this experiment shows.

This shows the relevant client page updates.

The daemon got some updates with the previous commit.

HTML does not have many controls, and I have not messed with the ones I can find. I see a "meter" tag that looks interesting, "progress". Are there others?

A quick look at Python as the client. How difficult will it be to write Python clients that use the web interface gateway?

http://docs.python-requests.org/en/master/

That looks promising. and it is a default install on my Ubuntu computer.

A quick test and it seems to work.

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import requests

r = requests.get('http://192.168.0.7:8000/?addr=1&cmd=id&q=true')
if (r.status_code == 200):
    print( str(r.json()) )
    print( "id.name=" + str(r.json()["id"]["name"]))

WSGIdaemon turns "?addr=1&cmd=id&q=true" into "/1/id?" and sends that to the AVR. The AVR sends back a JSON reply: {'id': {'name': 'KNL', 'desc': 'RPUno (14140^9) Board /w atmega328p', 'avr-gcc': '5.4.0'}}, which the WSGIdaemon sends back, and requests can turn the json right into a dictionary... wow