Web server-Vista20P alarm monitor: semi-secure login, event email, time, temp

I wanted to be able to monitor our Ademco Vista 20P alarm system control panel messages via an Arduino-based web server. The Vista 20P installation in our house has 2 keypads. The main controller in the alarm panel sends 30-character ASCII strings preceded by to the keypads via a serial interface to let the user know what the alarm system and sensor status is. The serial interface is RS-232-like at 4800, 8, E, 2.

I found the work of Martyn Woerner, Alessandro Calzavara, and Alberto Capponi at Arduino Playground - WebServer very helpful. I also borrowed from the works of Surfer Tim, Michael Margolis, Tom Igoe, and Nick Gammon, and perhaps others whom I don't recall.

The hardware I used is (1) an Arduino Uno, (2) an Ethernet Shield, and (3) an RS-232 shield (see, e.g., the DEV-11958 from SparkFun) that interfaces to the 12V serial port levels coming from the Vista 20 panel. I had to add an extra set of stackable headers (SparkFun PRT-11417 or equivalent) between the Ethernet Shield and the RS-232 Shield to keep the RS-232 Shield's DB9 connector pins from shorting out against the top of the metal can surrounding the RJ-45 connector on the Ethernet Shield.

This little web server has 7 pages:

• A login page*[/li]
  • A general display page that displays the time and the alarm panel message*[/li]
  • A page for entering email addresses for event messages*[/li]
  • A logout page*[/li]
  • A page to tell you you're logged in[/li]
  • A page to tell you the server is busy, i.e. the max number of clients are logged in[/li]
  • A 404 - Page Not Found page[/li]
    [/list]
  • The first 4 pages listed above are associated with menu options on the tops of the pages. The others are essentially status messages.

The "semi-secure" login uses session cookies. The server generates a random cookie when the client logs in and sends a "Set-Cookie: SID=XXXXXXXX" line in the HTTP header to the client when it acknowledges the login. ("XXXXXXXX" is an ASCII-HEX 32-bit number, e.g. "05AF2CE1".) The client sends the cookie back in its HTTP header in a "Cookie: SID=XXXXXXXX" line. See IETF RFC 6265. When the server gets a page request from a client, it checks to see if it received a cookie it issued. If not, it sends the client the login page. If so, it sends the client the requested page, or a status page if appropriate. Right now, it's set up to allow at most 2 clients, and to automatically log clients off after 5 minutes. The latter is to prevent something unexpected from filling up the cookie jar and preventing me from logging in.

To torture myself (I'm a bureaucrat by profession, not a software engineer), I wrote a small libary ("Cookies") that I use to create the random cookies, put them in a "jar," test to see if the jar is full, if a particular cookie is in the jar, if the jar is full, and where a cookie is in the jar. The cookies are just 8-character pseudo-random hex numbers ASCII-coded as 2 characters per byte. (They could be longer, but I'm not sure there's much point.) To ensure the torture was sufficiently painful, I made the jar a dynamically-allocated array of strings.

You can enter up to 3 email addresses to send event messages to. The server sends a test email message when you change the addresses, and sends messages to the addresses when it detects a fault message from the alarm panel.

The server sets an internal clock using Udp NTP code upon startup and once per day thereafter.

The server sends a refresh "GET" message to the Kiso Labs dynamic DNS server every 10 minutes. I need this because my ISP doesn't give me a permanent IP address, and I want to be able to log into the server when I'm away from home for a week or two.

It compiles to 26,012 bytes on the Uno with debug = 0 and 28,816 bytes with debug = 1 under the 1.0.5 development environment.

The code consists of the following files:

• AlarmServerV1_5_Share.ino[/li]
  • AlarmServer.h[/li]
  • HTML.h[/li]
    [/list]

The Cookies library includes the following files:

• Cookies.h[/li]
  • Cookies.cpp[/li]
    [/list]

Because I can only attach 4 files per post, I've concatenated Cookies.h and Cookies.cpp into one file, which I've called "Cookies.lib".

Sadly, I don't have the time or energy to answer questions about this stuff, so I'm pretty much just throwing it over the wall for you to figure it out as I did. I hope someone finds it useful.

See attached files.

P.S.: After I posted this, I added a feature to measure the temperature in the room in which the server is located using a Maxim DS18B20 and the OneWire library. It'll send an email if the temperature goes out of normal house limits (50F to 85F for us). Compiles to 29,604 bytes on the Uno under 1.0.5 with debug = 0. I had to bifurcate the debug stuff to squeeze it into 31,998 bytes when debug = 1. (I separated out free memory reports.) The temperature monitoring enhancement is not reflected in the attached code.

P.P.S.: A final modification was to replace the refreshing of the Kiso Labs dynamic DNS with a more "polite" updating of my IP address with another dynamic DNS provider. By "more polite," I mean I periodically check my IP address, and only send an update to the provider if it changes.

AlarmServerV1_5_Share.ino (45.4 KB)

AlarmServer.h (1.46 KB)

HTML.h (6.14 KB)

Cookies.lib (4.77 KB)

Actually i am working on the same. i have been a little away of my project last months but i have at least a fully functional read only interface to read and interpretate the different messages from my Ademco Vista 20P Panel. The code was extended from markkimsal work on github and was completely reestructured to be easily extensible.
I am very close to make it able to write to the panel as well but need some time to complete that part. Probably you might want to give it a try.

https://github.com/matlock08/homesecurity/tree/master/src/bus_listener

best regards

Looks like a nice piece of work.

I am building a home automation system that incorporates its own alarm functionality based on PIR detectors (for intruder detection) and temperature sensors (fire detection when temperatures rise rapidly or exceed a threshhold).

I have implememented a web server interface, am using an SD card for data (activity log) storage, track climate information at four locations, use UDP NTP to maintain a clock, send push emails to my iPhone when something important happens, can open my garage door with the system, etc.

I am using a 256KB Ethermega card. My application is now 100KB.

You can browse my Arduino application at http://219.88.69.69/2WG/.

I use client IP addresses to control one level of functionality/access (some things I can do on my secure WIFI LAN without login) and a password login with cookies (very much as you described) for another level of secure functionality.

I am happy to respond to questions from anyone who looks at the system and will be happy to share much of the more than 5,000 lines of code.

Cheers

Catweazle NZ

Hi. I am new to Arduino and starting a similar project, I want to interface my Vista 20P to ZIGBEE for integration with my HA system. Do you have schematics on how you built your device to interface with the 20P - Did you emulate the keyspan interface or use one of the other interface methods to the 20P? I am looking into emulating the keyspan interface.

matlock08:
Actually i am working on the same. i have been a little away of my project last months but i have at least a fully functional read only interface to read and interpretate the different messages from my Ademco Vista 20P Panel. The code was extended from markkimsal work on github and was completely reestructured to be easily extensible.
I am very close to make it able to write to the panel as well but need some time to complete that part. Probably you might want to give it a try.

https://github.com/matlock08/homesecurity/tree/master/src/bus_listener

best regards

This linked project, and the project you forked from, were most helpful in figuring out how to establish comms with my security panel. I tried using the hardware serial Serial.begin(4800, SERIAL_8E1) like the original poster did above but got funny results. Using the softwareserial2 libraries that your project used proved much more helpful. For anyone going down the same path in the future this thread shows my example code and circuit to listen to my Vista-15p security panel.

Hello,

Checking to see if you were able to make write working for Vista 20P. I am working on diy project myself and currently starting up. Please let me know.

vik