Website design.

You may have noticed that the design of the main Arduino site changed slightly. I moved the main navigation toolbar to the top so that the text area is a consistent width. The previous layout had problems in IE and Firefox 3. I also redid the content of the home page. What do you think?

We'll probably be making some other small adjustments to the site structure and organization over the next few weeks. Suggestions welcome.

i prefer this for sure... the navigation was a headache for me when using IE... looks like you missed a pipe between FAQ and Blog :)...

isaac

Nice

OSX10.3.9 FF 2.0.0.12

We'll donate a tableless homepage that renders perfectly in all browsers, if you don't mind waiting a week or so.

Nice

The image omitted

OSX10.3.9 FF 2.0.0.12

After reloading the page in Linux : firefox and konqueror the layout is OK. Is this a problem of the page being cached by the Wiki-Software (and than rebuild when user requests a reload?)

Eberhard

Hi,

Looks the same as the picture above with Safari 3.1.1 on Mac Os X 10.5.2!

Regards,

Till

Nice

The image omitted

OSX10.3.9 FF 2.0.0.12

After reloading the page in Linux : firefox and konqueror the layout is OK. Is this a problem of the page being cached by the Wiki-Software (and than rebuild when user requests a reload?)

Eberhard

I've had a look on Safari 1.3.2 which has never visited arduino.cc before, and it looks the same as the FF pic.

The root of the problem is here:-

http://tinyurl.com/4g2a97

Such a lot of markup, for not a lot of content, the same can be done in valid tableless in under 50 lines. It's a common problem with pages that get added to over time, and it's usually quicker to recreate the page than attempt to repair it.

Looks good !

While your at it, give us a favicon too ! It makes it easier to recognize bookmarks and tabs / windows during a multi-page or multi-website surf session. I usually have 5+ browser windows open, each containing multiple tabs and I'm sure that I'm not the only one ...

I made a very simple one as an example :

Example in webpage: http://skerm.be/dropfolder/arduino.html

Grz

I've had a look on Safari 1.3.2 which has never visited arduino.cc before, and it looks the same as the FF pic.

As of about an hour ago, it looks fine in Safari 1.3.2, but the buttons look very different, so I'm guessing this has been fixed.

As of about an hour ago, it looks fine in Safari 1.3.2, but the buttons look very different, so I'm guessing this has been fixed.

As at a minute ago it still looked the same as the pic, in FF & Safari.

An fast way to test code on all browsers and platforms without getting them all yourself, is sign up a trial account over at browsercam.com

If it looks good there, then there must be something weird with our cache(s).

I started a request for rendering at browsershots.

The (temporary) url for the result is http://browsershots.org/requests/770724/ expired Usually takes a few hours to have all the results.... Eberhard

If you're seeing the gray boxes with the navigation, your browser has the old .css stylesheet cached. Reloading (or forced reloading, or whatever you need to do to get the browser to reload stylesheets) should fix it.

I'll try to fix the validation problems in the Google form, although I don't think I changed that from the previous layout.

Shift-refresh fixed it this time.

If you want to center the layout, here's the code

* {padding:0;margin:0;}
html,body{margin:0;padding:0}

body {
      margin: 0px;
      padding: 0px;
      font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif;
      font-size: 11px;
      line-height: 16px;
      background-color:#aaa;
}

#page {
      width: 700px;
      margin-left:auto;
      margin-right:auto;      
      text-align:left;
      position:relative;
      margin-top: 20px;
}

i would suggest dancing unicorns in the background... be sure to have some pop song play when every page loads... apparently that type of thing draws 2938472987429874 visitors per nanosecond...

fyi there is a nice site called "browsershots" that takes screen caps of a site as seen on about thirty different browser/OS combinations.

D

I just updated the playground template / skin to be more like the main site. Comments? Suggestions?

Hi, I don't like the serif-font for the headings, when all the other fonts are sans-serif.

Sidebar and content area add up to 800px, but with the fixed 20px gray border on the left side, the page doesn't fit on a screen that is only 800 px wide (eeepc). What about making that border only 10 px and stealing another 10 from the sidebar width? Summer is here in the end and I would like to work in the garden. (I offer a new article on the Playground for that!)

Apart from that I ways liked the arduino.cc -layout.... Eberhard