Wedding project idea

I want to basically make a camera slider that is automated. My thought process is this. Using fishing line (100lb test) suspend a slider that has a camera above the reception floor. The camera will be a go pro with cam. I want to some how have it track me or the future misses as we move about the reception area recording us. My initial though is to some how use rfid to track our locations, though with the limited range of rfid that may not work as the ceiling is about 10 feet high and the distance to us at any time could be greater then that depending where in the room we are standing. In theory I would like it to slide and be within 3 to 5 feet of our location filming. above us. If I can get the base idea working I will then add pan and tilt.

Any thoughts or links to others projects would be great. This is simple project if I did not want to focus on just us and just have it time lapse across everyone, though I like to try to focus on us.

Check out http://www.diyphotography.net/. They have lots of different sliders, dollies, etc. that people have made. I can't help you with subject tracking. However, being an amateur photographer who does stills and now video for events (renaissance faires in my case), I tend to think you will get better movies if you have a real human doing the tracking. Your job at the wedding is to pay full attention to the bride, and NOT worry about getting shots, etc.

I will also note, when I'm doing photography at ren. faires, I rarely have time to enjoy the shows and my only memory is being focused on getting the shot. So rather than pressing friends to do this, get a professional photographer to film the event (or an amateur wanting to get into the business), and let your friends enjoy your wedding as well.

Lets see:

We have professionals doing the photos! I wanted to add some of my love and passion of technology to the event since she has selected the location and things. I have been to the site and see many of those. The thing is tracking a single person or up to people. To slide where they go in a linear fashion and shoot video. This will be all automated no need to press freinds into doing anything.

I will check a few of the other links but from the description i think I read most of those all ready. Thanks for information :slight_smile:

If any one else has ideas let me know

any type of people tracking will be hard, If you want to put your love for technology in your wedding, have a robot bring the ring (or something of that nature).
maybe have a robot carry snacks around.

I already built the photobooth using an arduino and pc. So we do have some stuff.

As far as people tracking that's why I orig said rfid so it is not a person it is a signal that it tracks. could possibly have it take several readings and calculate the distance and move the in the direction where the signal is greater.

As far as people tracking that's why I orig said rfid so it is not a person it is a signal that it tracks. could possibly have it take several readings and calculate the distance and move the in the direction where the signal is greater.

Passive RFID, the most common kind, has a range, generally, of less than a centimeter. Active RFID has much greater range, but be prepared for major sticker shock when you go pricing it.

Forget other forms of radio, too. The signal strength stuff is just not accurate.

This desire to "follow me" or "track me" as I move is quite common, but no one has come up with a cheap, reliable, method yet that does not involve the trackee wearing some tracking device that is VISIBLE to the tracker. If you do wear something that a IR transmitter/IR receiver could follow, you'd need to make sure that no one else had one, that room lighting didn't interfere, and that you were careful to face the camera at all times.

PaulS , yeah saw the pricing and def thought it was too much. the other idea I had was put my phone in AP mode and setup a hotspot with a SSID that is hidden. Have two wifi cards on the device that calculated which one had the higher reading of signal and go in that direction kind of like this project done to locate sound where it compares signal and moves in that direction:

http://hacknmod.com/hack/diy-sound-localization-sensor-with-arduino/

Have two wifi cards on the device that calculated which one had the higher reading of signal and go in that direction

That might work in a 40 acre field, if you don't mind not being in the middle of the picture. In a indoor arena, the signal strength will be either too close to determine direction or influenced by the individual devices themselves.

Something simple like turning so you block one devices line of sight path to the phone, but not the other, would cause the camera to swing away. Not exactly the goal you have in mind.

With "professional quality" sensors and gear and an unlimited budget this would be a simple project.

However, using the "unprofessional sensors and gear" I am limited to by my budget this would be such a miserable project I would move on to planning other things.

That's what the comments above say too I think.

By the way -- for Mrs. -- use missus (in the vernacular) -- misses is something you don't want to occur on your wedding day. I was going to write out a bunch of bad taste puns -- then thought better of it. :astonished:

Concentrate on having a happy day and spend the money on a really good bottle of champagne. Or maybe buy his-and-hers matching Maega 2560s for wedding presents. And you can both work on a project on your honeymoon.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I think my final decision is not to do this. Though we may still stick a few go pro's or around the tent to get some video and crazy stuff for fun.

Thanks again

Hello...
I am new user...i read some post for about wedding project ideas..and i get some new information....
Thanks for sharing post...