weekend diversion: what to do when the government asks for a backdoor

A bit of weekend fun:

what to do when the government asks for a backdoor...

Edit: as shown in my signature I run that forum (which isn't just for Arduino)

I know this Section is Bar Sport and I know that many people post links to other websites that they believe may amuse Forum Members.

But I do think it is inappropriate for a Forum Member to post links to his own website - presumably for the purpose of improving hits measured by Google.

If the OP's link was for the purpose of assisting someone with an Arduino programming problem (e.g. NickGammon's very helpful website) it would be different - and would not be in Bar Sport in any case.

See also this comment

...R

Yes, NickGammon's web site is incredibly helpful. Some of the articles are a bit old and can use a modern discussion I feel, and I invited him to re-post or link some of them for discussion.

Regarding what you write about "assisting someone with an Arduino programming problem " if you actually check my posts you will see that I have posted walkthroughs that others found useful, so it would fall into that category.

If the OP's link was for the purpose of assisting someone with an Arduino programming problem (e.g. NickGammon's very helpful website) it would be different - and would not be in Bar Sport in any case.

that's right? the link I just posted is for amusement and titled "weekend diversion". I'm not sure what you would suggest - did you want me to post it here without linking to my site? (copy and paste the text in this post)? THen it would lose the pictures...

Also in that case what would I do for longer posts that don't fit here? For example the one that I'm writing about concurrent programming, timers, interrupts, pseudothreads, protothreads, pseudo operating systems, etc, for beginners (like me) is certainly not going to be able to be posted here directly.

So the only thing I can do is post it there and link here? I don't really get anything out of views on my forum, like, I'm not selling anything, I don't get advertising revenue or anything like that - I don't even have google anaylitcs enabled at the moment, just the built-in ones.

so I'm really not sure what your concern is. Perhaps you just didn't find the link I just posted amusing. :)

That is fair (though on reddit someone called it "hilarious"). Also bear in mind that we've had a discussion here recently about guns etc. so it's not as wildly off topic as people might think...

"internet-of-things" stuff is not an easy topic. There could be a dozen devices on my home network, random dumb "internet of things" stuff that costs $5, and that I don't really trust the security of. It's not clear what to do exactly, so this is why rather than a deep write-up or anything I decided to just poke fun.

I haven't had any complaints about it being in poor taste exactly. on reddit someone said (disagreeing with the other poster) that "the attitude in this particular post is the kind of antiestablishment stuff that just doesn't sit well with me. I think satires about the national security letters and other sensitive topics are important, but the tone of this one doesn't do it in the right way, at least to me."

I suppose you might feel the same. do you have specific edits you would suggest?

if you felt like it (though this is too serious for me, I didn't open this topic exactly) you could share your thoughts about backdoor'd networked home devices, of which in my personal estimation there is a plethora. I don't have thoughts to share on this beyond that I think in two years it will be standard practice for everyone to run a separate wifi home network called backdoor'd where they put all their presumably backdoor'd devices they don't trust. (example: ordering a $0.50 network connected thermostat from China, when that is an unreasonably low price.)

There are also discussions about how awful the security practices in some IoT devices are. Example:

“Internet of Things” security is hilariously broken and getting worse

example 2: "I've bought some more awful IoT stuff"

there is also this fun example:

http://www.internetofuselessthings.io/

anyway for me the serious side is too much at the moment :) hence the bit of weekend fun...