I have this code:

if (keypressed == '#') {
      for(unsigned int a = 0; a < sizeof(keys); a = a+1) {
        Serial.print(keys[a]);
      }
    }

Output is this after typing in '147#':

147#147#⸮⸮R⸮tt^⸮3[⸮""""aaaaa

I understand everything up until after the second # symbol. What is this jiberish?

You should post the complete code when you ask a question like this. It isn't possible to answer form just your snippet.

Having seen your code on the other post though I can give you an answer. The random garbage is all the stuff in the array that you haven't written to yet. You have an array with 50 characters in it. You wrote to the first three. And they show up just like you want. Then you also print out the remaining 47 positions you haven't written to yet and they are full of whatever leftover garbage was in memory when the array was created. If you have a variable that keeps track of how many chars you've written into that array you could use that instead of the length of the array and you'd only print the part you want.

When the hash (#) is pressed, write a null character ('\0') to the next position in the keys[] array. Then you can print it as...

Serial.print(keys);  //print the characters in keys[] up to the null

What MorgnS said.

for(unsigned int a = 0; a < sizeof(keys); a = a+1) {
        Serial.print(keys[a]);
      }

Tis prints every element of the buffer, including the characters you have not filled in yet.

So when I go to compare then, what is the best way to do this? I am trying here to convert the char array to a string:

String code = "12345";
char keys[5];
String str(keys);

if(keys == code) {
        Serial.print("Access granted");
      }

There is no need to use the (possibly dangerous) String class (capital S). And why do you try to convert it?

String code = "12345";
char keys[5];
String str(keys);

The question is what ..... is; you were told not to post snippets :wink: And I'm not going to dig for other threads :wink: As it stands now, keys is not initialised and next you try to make a string of an uninitialised variable; recipe for disaster.

When you press the # key, add the null terminator to that character array. Next you can use the C-string functions like strlen() and strcmp() and ...

For the code in reply #4, if the character array is null terminated

if (strcmp(keys, "12345") == 0)
{
  // match
}

For the code in the opening post, if the character array is null terminated

for(unsigned int a = 0; a < strlen(keys); a = a+1)
      {
        Serial.print(keys[a]);
      }

Or indeed a simple Serial.println(keys).

droidus:
So when I go to compare then, what is the best way to do this? I am trying here to convert the char array to a string:

String code = "12345";

char keys[5];
String str(keys);

if(keys == code) {
        Serial.print("Access granted");
      }

No, stay away from the String class on a microcontroller. Stick with keeping the strings of characters in char arrays.

Delta_G:
No, stay away from the String class on a microcontroller. Stick with keeping the strings of characters in char arrays.

May I ask why? Does it take too much memory?
Also, how is it dangerous?

char keys[5];

That's one mistake. You can't fit five characters and a null terminator in an array of five characters.

OOPS, missed that one :wink:

droidus:
May I ask why? Does it take too much memory?
Also, how is it dangerous?

Uses more memory is the big one. But there's another issue hiding in it. It uses dynamic allocation and we have no garbage collection. So when you start using the + operator to concatenate strings you end up with the heap shot full of holes. A PC has a garbage collector that will fix that. The Arduino does not and eventually it leads to a crash.

But really it's just the overhead. The String class is just wrapping a normal c-string and giving you new names for all the string handling functions. There's nothing it can do that you can't do with normal c-strings. There's nothing new in it. So why waste the overhead and code space on it if it doesn't bring anything useful to the table? All the String class does is make the syntax look pretty. I got bigger priorities than pretty syntax.