Weld Positioner Controller

Hey guys I'm new to Arduino. I'm getting into it in order to build a weld positioner controller. I'm using a NEMA 17 stepper and will probably step up to a NEMA 23 eventually. This is going to be very low rpm (0.1-3rpm)

What I'm wanting to have is a speed control, LCD with rpm read out, on/off switch, forward/reverse switch, an on/off foot pedal that I can plug in and remove, and have it stand alone without being constantly hooked up to a computer.

I'm basically wondering if this is at all possible. If it can be done, what hardware should I get, and if I should start one at a time, ie get it working with stepper motor and potentiometer then try to add LCD with rpm read out, then add a foot pedal.

Anyways I'm new to this and couldn't find a post relating to what I'm looking for. Thanks for reading and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Max

Replying just so I can follow

5thstreetfab:
Hey guys I'm new to Arduino. I'm getting into it in order to build a weld positioner controller. I'm using a NEMA 17 stepper and will probably step up to a NEMA 23 eventually. This is going to be very low rpm (0.1-3rpm)

What I'm wanting to have is a speed control, LCD with rpm read out, on/off switch, forward/reverse switch, an on/off foot pedal that I can plug in and remove, and have it stand alone without being constantly hooked up to a computer.

I'm basically wondering if this is at all possible. If it can be done, what hardware should I get, and if I should start one at a time, ie get it working with stepper motor and potentiometer then try to add LCD with rpm read out, then add a foot pedal.

Anyways I'm new to this and couldn't find a post relating to what I'm looking for. Thanks for reading and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Max

Sure, it is certainly possible, if you can put up with stepping and not smooth rotation. Be aware, if you are using any king of electric welding, it will potentially kill the Arduino operation.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Sure, it is certainly possible, if you can put up with stepping and not smooth rotation. Be aware, if you are using any king of electric welding, it will potentially kill the Arduino operation.

Paul

Thanks Paul! I was wondering if the stepping would be too noticeable. I ordered a micro stepper that I'm going to use so hopefully that will help some. Yes I was thinking the high frequency and especially Aluminum constant high frequency would be an issue so I'm planning on isolating the motor and control board. Thanks again bud!

Max

So far I hooked up my NEMA 17 with a 1/4" kydex mount and drilled a nylon coupler for the shaft. Hooked that all up, then connected a micro stepper and pulse generator with on/off forward/reverse and potentiometer. I welded aluminum with it for close to an hour and haven't had any issues yet! Pretty stoked.

I'm wondering if it's possible to hook up an LCD with rpm read out to this pulse generator? Thanks

Max