were do I start?

Hey guys I am Jake and I am new to Arduino. I got an Arduino uno, 2 Xmas's ago and I tried to use it then but I just couldn't figure it out so I put it away until today.

what I want to do is to make a RC helicopter but what sort of coding do I need to learn to do so? I know I will need to learn c++ but what specific things like i have to learn to control motors and bla blah blah all that kind of stuff.

I want to get a book to help me out do you have any suggestions as to which you think I should buy?

Jake

I think that learning to use proper capitalization would be useful.

I think that learning to use paragraphs would be useful.

I think that learning to do simple projects before tackling a complex one would be useful. So, yes, get those books and others.

what I want to do is to make a RC helicopter

So, what is the Arduino going to be doing? It is neither a RC transmitter or a RC receiver.

Have a look for Xbee modules, gyros, etc. Check out http://www.sparkfun.com among others

Have a look for Xbee modules, gyros,

...but not for a long time yet.

Get comfortable with blinking LEDs without using "delay()", and build up from there.

Yes I agree, or you'll just frustrate yourself at minimum, or blow something up!!

Have a look at this is you haven't already, Tutorial 01 for Arduino: Getting Acquainted with Arduino - YouTube

technobabologist:
Yes I agree, or you'll just frustrate yourself at minimum, or blow something up!!

Or carve chunks out of yourself. A rotor-disk is a very dangerous thing that does not stop the instant power is removed. An old garden chair of mine can attest to this.