what alternative IDEs are available ?

I have not been able to get the official IDE to load on a windows computer for probably over 2 years.

I tried platformIO and it is still is a very new stage of development.

is there a list of programs that actually work on a windows PC for those of us who cannot get the official IDE to run ?

obviously, it has to be stand-alone and not use the official IDE in any way.

Eclipse IDE?

dave-in-nj: I have not been able to get the official IDE to load on a windows computer for probably over 2 years.

Lots of other people have it running fine. Perhaps some time should be taken to try to figure out what you're doing wrong. I don't think it is the case that the IDE just doesn't work with Windows.

What version of Windows are you using?

The other popular alternatives are:

• Atmel Studio with the Visual Micro plugin
  • Codebender
  • Arduino Web Editor

But if the only reason you're looking at alternatives is that it won't start, I'd say give a shot at getting the standard IDE working first. Usually people are using platformio, Eclipse, or Visual Micro because they're frustrated by the limitations of the Arduino IDE. Usually people are using codebender or Arduino Web Editor because they are into the "cloud" thing or because they are using Chrome OS.

Delta_G: Lots of other people have it running fine. Perhaps some time should be taken to try to figure out what you're doing wrong. I don't think it is the case that the IDE just doesn't work with Windows.

What version of Windows are you using?

I understand that probably the vast majority of Windows users are working fine. when I last looked, there was a thread of well over 1,000 posts about people who tried to upgrade, but were having problems. the most common solutions were to buy a new computer with Win7 or better, as at that time XP was no longer supported. or to switch to dual boot and use linux. I am currently on a Windows 7 professional. 4 gig ram. 64 bit OS, as a user. this is an office computer at my home, and I am not able to access admin mode, but have full ability to add software that does not require admin. past computers were Win 7 and Win 10, with full admin access. I have access to some other computers, but this is my current work station at home. Arduino 1.8.2 with arduino.exe I get the splash screen, then nothing with arduino_debug.exe I get dpi detection failed, fall back to 96dpi, then a second screen that closes in less than a second. It would be nice if the debug dumped to a file.

dave-in-nj: the most common solutions were to buy a new computer with Win7 or better, as at that time XP was no longer supported.

That's been fixed. XP is supported by recent versions of Arduino AVR Boards.

dave-in-nj: with arduino_debug.exe I get dpi detection failed, fall back to 96dpi, then a second screen that closes in less than a second.

Did you run it from the command line?

deleted java
re-installed

ran the debug and this is what came up

Try creating a folder named portable in C:\Users\Public\Documents\arduino-1.8.2. If the Arduino IDE will start after that we know the problem is probably caused by it not being able to access your Arduino15 folder for some reason.

Oh ok when you said windows I didn't know you meant ancient windows.

Why do you stick with such old unsupported software? If it's cost give Linux a chance. If you're scared to try it then dual boot it or boot it off a stick for running Arduino for a while. If you want I'll give you a step by step to making a bootable stick that can run the Arduino ide (and anything else) and how to get the IDE installed (super simple).

You consider Windows 7 ancient?

pert: You consider Windows 7 ancient?

yes :-)

pert: The other popular alternatives are:

• Atmel Studio with the Visual Micro plugin
  • Codebender
  • Arduino Web Editor

But if the only reason you're looking at alternatives is that it won't start, I'd say give a shot at getting the standard IDE working first. Usually people are using platformio, Eclipse, or Visual Micro because they're frustrated by the limitations of the Arduino IDE. Usually people are using codebender or Arduino Web Editor because they are into the "cloud" thing or because they are using Chrome OS.

First off, thanks for overlooking my obvous rants. I hate too much change and today I could not figure out why my display and SD card are not working. only get weekends to program. as for the above software, micro studio requires the use of the Arduino IDE. so if mine is broken, then that is not going to work I had tried the Aruino web editor, same thing. I could not get it to load. if CodeBender uses the Arduino IDE, then it too is not so much an alternative as a skin. most of the other options offered in the arduino.cc software was just more skins that used the basic IDE. platformio seems to be in beta, an early beta.... but an actual alternative IDE.

pert: Try creating a folder named portable in C:\Users\Public\Documents\arduino-1.8.2. If the Arduino IDE will start after that we know the problem is probably caused by it not being able to access your Arduino15 folder for some reason.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\arduino-1.8.2\portable

just an empty folder ?

nothing changed.

I would have no problem to un-install all of the arduino files if that might get any odd bits out of the way.

did you try Eclipse IDE?

dave-in-nj: if CodeBender uses the Arduino IDE, then it too is not so much an alternative as a skin.

No, it's a "cloud" based IDE.

I didn't know you meant ancient windows.

It shouldn't matter. People should STOP saying "oh, your windows is really old, I don't know if that works any more"! The Arduino IDE should work way back to XP, and I don't have any trouble getting the most recent IDE to run on XP, W7, W8.1, or W10. Notice the presence of "recoverDefaultSketchbookFolder" in the traceback. This is the IDE trying to find your Documents\Arduino folder. Actually, it's failing just trying to find your "Documents" folder before it even does anything specific with it's own files or preferences. The "network path not found" is probably significant too. I would suspect that you have something in your "My Documents" path that is left over from a long time ago and isn't working, and yet is being propagated to each new OS you install as part of your "settings." Unfortunately, this is WAY past my knowledge level for windows sysAdmin stuff, and I'm just guessing. Can you take a look at the settings for your "Documents" folder, as described here and see if there is anything suspicious?

Juraj: did you try Eclipse IDE?

I did not try it. in reading the web pages and FAQ, there was no mention of costs for Eclipse, but I thought it was like $10 a month ? the Sloeber plug-in was free, but reading the blog, it does not seem like it is financially working for him. that could mean that he finds a better paying way and this looses support/updates I did not get a warm and fuzzy that eclipse is a solid thing. there seem to be may plug-ins. I do plan on doing more research with that. I did not find if it was stand-alone, or a plug-in for the official IDE. seems like a lot of unanswered questions for me to jump in.

pert: You consider Windows 7 ancient?

Sorry I misread and thought he said it was XP. The problem isn't the OS it's that he's not an admin.

westfw: It shouldn't matter. People should STOP saying "oh, your windows is really old, I don't know if that works any more"! The Arduino IDE should work way back to XP, and I don't have any trouble getting the most recent IDE to run on XP, W7, W8.1, or W10. Notice the presence of "recoverDefaultSketchbookFolder" in the traceback. This is the IDE trying to find your Documents\Arduino folder. Actually, it's failing just trying to find your "Documents" folder before it even does anything specific with it's own files or preferences. The "network path not found" is probably significant too. I would suspect that you have something in your "My Documents" path that is left over from a long time ago and isn't working, and yet is being propagated to each new OS you install as part of your "settings." Unfortunately, this is WAY past my knowledge level for windows sysAdmin stuff, and I'm just guessing. Can you take a look at the settings for your "Documents" folder, as described here and see if there is anything suspicious?

good pointer. and YES. each time the office upgrades the PC's, they let us take the old ones. the office uses a server hard drive as our primary for our documents. but now that I am not on the office network, that link is broken. gives me a place to start looking why my attempts have been fraught with errors.

Re #16

Eclipse is all free. I fear the loss of support for the plugins too but I’m learning to use my own make files and such so it shouldn’t be any issue very soon.