What Arduino to get??

Hey all
Im currently trying to decide if i should get the duemilanove or the mega. Price is about the same

This will be my first arduino and i have no experience with them whatsoever :slight_smile:
So is the mega harder to use than the duemilanove, whats the main difference between the 2?
Ill be using it to control 4 brushless esc's(speed has to be variable from stop to full throttle) , 6-7 relays and 2 or 3 sensors (will these be hooked up to the analog input?) for a Rov

Any help will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
Thanks
Philipp

I find it strange that the Arduino Mega and the Duemilanove are about the same price. Usually they differ by about $10-$15. Better check if the Mega is really what you expect and has an USB interface onboard. If you link both, we can check it for you.

What you want to hook up to it can be done with any Arduino, Duemilanove, Uno or Mega, although without knowing what sensors you want to connect we can't tell if they use analogue or digital inputs. Link the data-sheets or the item in the shop to check them.

As to the difference between the Mega and the Duemilanove, the Mega has more ports and more memory, but programming them is pretty much the same. However the usual shields designed for the Duemilanove won't fit on the Mega. With your requirement you will need some external components to drive your relays, where a ready made interface-shield can be very handy, specially if you're a beginner at electronics.

Korman

Hey thanks for the reply

Sensors i am planning on using temperature, light and one to measure water depth sensors

Also electronics arent that readily available where i live and ordering online isnt very reliable here.... :-/
so I think like you said a duemilanove with maybe a sensor shield would be easier (would this be the right shield for the job?)
But would the duemilanove memory be enough for a program to control motors (with reverse ect) some relays and various sensors because memory measured in kb sounds awfully small lol ::slight_smile: but then again im new and have no idea how big a program like that would be

Does this project sound a bit out of reach for a beginner (have a little programming experience and am handy with electronics)

Thanks
Philipp

my god man choose the best answer the mega has more pins and more storage and i found it better than dul i have both.

The mega is a bit more expensive, and a lot less shield compatible.
Unless you're doing complex things (walking robots with more than 4 legs for instance), the duemilanove / uno should be fine.
As such, I'd recommend the duemilanove / uno because its cheaper.. and its compatible with all the shields out there (as opposed to the mega, which can probably work with the vast majority.. but many might require (minor) hacks).

I found having both is kind of nice. :wink:

the guy above me if right i mena you eventually going to buy both why not just do it now

These are coming from Hong Kong - are these the real thing or pirated copies?

SKY, update your profile with your location.

Thanks for all the help guys :slight_smile:

I wish i could get both, but thats a bit too expensive

Well i wont be controlling a 4 legged robot, just 4 esc/servos and 6 relays and temperature and light sensor, duemilanove should work for that, shouldnt it ? And duemilanove seems a bit better for a beginner since most tutorials are for decimilia,duemilanove and the uno

Will I have to connect the esc's to a pwm output pin and the relays to a non pwm output pin? :-?

How can i find out if its a legit one or a fake? Can the fakes still do all the things the real ones can do?
What are some other websites that sell legit kits and ship world wide?

Thanks

Philipp

just 4 esc/servos and 6 relays and temperature and light sensor, duemilanove should work for that, shouldnt it ?

YES!!

Will I have to connect the esc's to a pwm output pin and the relays to a non pwm output pin?

Well many people mistake pwm for ppm esc's and servos use ppm not pwm so you can connect it to any pin .

How can i find out if its a legit one or a fake?

call them clones :wink:

Can the fakes still do all the things the real ones can do?

YES but check if they are arduino compatible or no

What are some other websites that sell legit kits and ship world wide?

hmm do a forum search there was a topic comparing kits

Thanks so much :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Helped alot
Philipp

Hey again everyone

So i redesigned my project and now i have to control 4 esc, 1 servo, 8 relays, temperature sensor,compass module and pressure sensor
I think for this the duemilanove wont be enough or will it? (because it only has 14 pins :-?)
Would the duemilanove be ok if i excluded the compass module?

Thanks
Philipp

well the inputs or outputs can be multiplexed

And you have 19 pins, not 14 - D0-D13, and D14-D19 (analog pins A0-A5).
We don't know how many pins each of your devices require, so you may need some external multiplexing as newbie says. Or maybe some of the devices share the same pins and are addressed individually via different serial addresses.
Not enough info to go on yet.

ok thanks so ill just have to first figure out how many pins ill need

Yeah

If i use the ethernet shield does can i plug the arduino into a router thats connected to my pc and use it without internet access

i didnt understand that :wink:

And if the ethernet shield is use do you have to use the arduino via the browser or can you also use it with the normal software?

you can use the ide to connect it :slight_smile: but if u did somehing so as to display on the internet then u need to open a browser to use it

Yea i know, Didnt make sense so i removed it lol (only saw your reply afterwards otherwise would have just left it ;D)
Will have to try reformulate my question :stuck_out_tongue:

So im trying to control the arduino from a distance
Since usb can only extend 5 to 10 meters i think I was thinking if its possible to just use the ethernet shield to extend it further than that
but still use the arduino the same way as if it was connected via usb (so not using the shield to connect to the internet but just to extend cable length) and just controlling it via ide the way you would with usb
I wont have internet on the pc im planning to use it with anyways

Thanks for the help
Cheers
Philipp

Since usb can only extend 5 to 10 meters

Wow really i'd love to get one :wink: i've never seen anything like that !
probably you sould boost the signal some how just wait dont go for the ethernet sheild if u really dont need it wait until all the members come back (i guess they are having a christmas break ) they would give you a better suggestion :wink: or use google

Well i think 5m is quite far already for usb ;D
but im using a cheap ethernet usb extender which is working ok at 10m with a webcam, but i wanted to use the ethernet shield to extend it even further by connecting directly to a ethernet port since aparently the usb signal gets weaker the further it travels so i dont know if the response time might be slower or something like that if i go further than 10m on usb:)
So if i use the shield no usb would be involved

Cheers
Philipp