What are the ways to transfer data from arduino ??

I am working on measuring the water depth using ultrasonic sensor. Somehow I am able to calculate the depth, and can display it on the serial monitor for every 2 seconds. My question is

1. How to store it in the Microsoft excel sheet ?
  2. What are the different ways to send the date wirelessly (to a computer/website, or to a mobile) & which is the cheapest solution ? Note: I am using arduino Mega 2560

Thanks in advance.

A few people (me included) have been playing with some cheap Wifi modules that communicate via RS232 e.g like this one

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4G-Wireless-Module-Embedded-Uart-Wifi-Module-UART-WiFi-Network-Server-Client-IEEE802-11b-with/988481350.html

It would be possible to send data in the form of a HTTP GET or HTTP Post to a website, but you'd need to run something like PHP and MySQL on the site to receive the data and store it (and sub-sequentially to view it)

BTW. There is an official Wifi shield but its quite a lot more expensive

Other options are BlueTooth. There are some cheap BlueTooth modules that act like Serial comm's To use them, you'd need to have some PC software running to accept the incoming serial data from the BlueTooth and store it and also convert to Excel

BTW Rather than Excel it would be easier to use CSV, as its just comma separated text, rather than a complex proprietary file format.

You can also get 433MHZ telemetry units (pairs), which send RS232 data on the 433Mhz band. (Take a look at the stuff done by 3D robotics, or on the Hobby king site) This would be similar to Bluetooth, but would probably give longer range than BlueTooth

It really all depends on your exact requirements (also you'd need to define Mobile more clearly, ie do you mean Apple mobile or Android mobile, as there are far more restrictions to dealing with Apple devices, i.e only Bluetooth low energy and Wifi would work, and even then BlueTooth low energy (BlueTooth LE) only works on newer Apple devices i.e newer than iPhone 4)

Thanks, Mobile in my question refers to normal mobile (not android, not apple), i have to send sms to mobile number.

Open Hyperterminal (or other terminal program like PuTTY) connect to your Arduino’s COM port, and you can save the full or a partial log to a text file at the least.

Bluetooth can be had cheap.

shivaaprs: I am working on measuring the water depth using ultrasonic sensor. Somehow I am able to calculate the depth, and can display it on the serial monitor for every 2 seconds. My question is

1. How to store it in the Microsoft excel sheet ?

You can send the data to SD and winkle it out later You can send data to a terminal on PC and then copy to Excel You can send data direct to Excel using PLX-DAQ. This is a free macro that effectively turns Excel into a terminal, allowing live data and live graphs

1. What are the different ways to send the date wirelessly (to a computer/website, or to a mobile) & which is the cheapest solution ?

I imagine the cheapest wireless solution is bluetooth to laptop $7.

As to the Excel sheets, fiddling around with the .xls filetype is not really worth it. It should be easy to save it as csv; to my knowledge, Excel should be able to import that.

Is there any alternative for Arduino GSM shield ??

ebay /301192177902

For datalogging, about a 2 page c program on any linux computer is sufficient to log incoming Serial.print("messages") from a connected arduino. spreadsheets can read plain text .txt or .csv as appended to by the logger program running on the pc. I've avoided using a 100MB spreadsheet program to do what a 5kb C program can do.

You can transfer data using IR TV Remote or IR/laser modem. Radio is better but more expensive.

You can build a micro-SD slot from the full-size adapter that comes with the micro-SD card. Circuits to handle the 5V to 3.3V are shown in how-to's on the web, there's at least 2 on Instructables. Once wired use the SD Examples, the card is the most expensive part. SD card has an onboard MCU. With SD you can log without running a whole computer.

The cheapest way I could think of would be using these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-NRF24L01-2-4GHz-Antenna-Wireless-Transceiver-Module-for-Arduino-New-T1K-/141130844621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item20dc0dc9cd

(I've bought similar ones, didn't get to testing them yet... But allegedly, they do the job.)

Use Arduino on PC side. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sale-Geeetech-Chinduino-Duemilanove-Atmega328p-pu-compatible-with-Arduino-IDE-/281317697348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417fd76744