What board should I buy for lcd display for midi controller?

Hello!

I am a composer and I have started doing some work for some film companies.
I just want do some upgrades on my controller. I use the low cost Behringer Bcf2000 but I have done some modifications, decoded the midi messages of parameters in the software I use and made my custom preset on the unit and it works all great, I am able to control anything I want in the software, even insert effects into tracks without using a mouse. Even a workaround for the non touch sensetive faders. I have 2 bcf2000 and 1 bcr2000 connected to control the software and its all perfect. This is done by using the control surface plugin of the VS700 controller designed for sonar. It gives communication between Sonar and the bcf2000s

I am new to this and I dont know a lot about the arduino boards and the displays but I am interested in making an LCD Display for my midi controllers, Behringer Bcf2000.
I want to be able to have visual feedback of what I am controlling with the bcf2000. The unit has 8 strips with faders buttons knob to control tracks 1-8 and then you switch to next bank e.t.c for the next 8 faders and so on. It controls volume, mute, solo, pan and other stuff.
I would like to be able to see the parameters of the tracks I am mixing.
For example the display will show track names that I am controlling, volume and pan positions e.t.c
Something like this:

GUITAR GUITAR BASS VOX KICK SNARE HAT OVERHEADS
Volume Volume Volume Volume Volume Volume Volume Volume

Can someone please let me know what Arduino board board I should buy? I want to connect 2 lcd displays 24x2 so I can have display of the 8 channels.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Elias Othitis

www.eliasothitis.com

I want to connect 2 lcd displays 24x2 so I can have display of the 8 channels.

What kind of LCD displays? Serial versions only require three pins each, and two of them are shared - power and ground. One pin per LCD to send data to the LCD.

Other kinds need more pins. How many depends on the LCD.

This little board goes on the back of any/most LCD displays & allows you to control all of them with as few as two pins total - ("I2C").

Here are a few other options with old support (example code, tutorials, & libraries to get you up & running faster.

Not knowing much about midi controllers, especially your modified ones, the big question would be...
How do you plan to get the relevant information from the controller to the Arduino?

For example the display will show track names that I am controlling, volume and pan positions e.t.c

Hello people and thanks for the replies.

I found this link that connects an lcd display to the bcf2000 and in the text it says it shows the midi messages from the bcf2000.

http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/content/18-tutorial-midilickuino-lcd

1CHicagoDave "Not knowing much about midi controllers, especially your modified ones, the big question would be...
How do you plan to get the relevant information from the controller to the Arduino?"

I think there are two ways.

1. In the link I posted it shows the Arduino with the LCD connected to the BCF2000 through midi but that shows the Midi Messages from the BCF2000 on the LCD. I read that with some modification of the code I can it to work. So I can do it like that,

or

1. From other resaerch I have done i can Use Midiox as I already do from the DAW softaware, out to midiox and midiox to the bcf2000 and another output to the Arduino. USING USB.

I would like to do something like in the link I posted but it doesnt say what board it is. It just says arduino board. But if you have any other suggestions Im open to listen. :slight_smile:

PaulS, I dont know a alot about LCDs and pins and stuff. Again, an lcd like in the link but a longer one would work for me.

Thanks guys!

:slight_smile: